1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

gm manual trans

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by surfer1316, Jan 30, 2008.

1. surfer1316

surfer1316 New Member

Hey guys hoping you can help me out. I know the T56 is the popular 6 speed, but I was wondering if anybody knows the name/designation for the 5 speed, not sure what else it's behind, but I know they use it behind the 4.8 liters. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Chevy Parts
  2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

the 5 speed version was in 2 forms the T-5 and the world class T-5 both had issues that when in 5th gear they starve the front gears for oil and woud self destruct. there was a recall and a fix. they drilled a few large oil return holes in the 5th gear area to the front sump....mike
  3. surfer1316

surfer1316 New Member

Are you sure thats the 5 speed behind the 4.8 liters? reason I ask is I'm looking for a more economicall manual trans to put behind a 5.3 liter, T56 was the obvious choice, then I heard some rumors that they put a 5 speed behind the 4.8. Behind as it's the same block, figure it can't be hard to swap, and would HAVE to be cheaper than the T56 set up