Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

GM offers free rental cars to Chevy Volt owners amid fire probe - New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Chevy Volt Forum' started by GMTC_Admin, Nov 30, 2011.

1. GMTC_Admin

GMTC_Admin Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 80, align: center"][​IMG]
    [SIZE=-2]New York Daily News[/SIZE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: j"]

GM offers free rental cars to Chevy Volt owners amid fire probe
    [SIZE=-1]New York Daily News[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Chevrolet has announced the launch of a rental program to allow users concerned over the safety of their electric Chevrolet Volt access to another vehicle. The unprecedented move, sparked by the opening of an investigation by the US National Highway ...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]NHTSA investigates post-crash fire risk in Chevy Volt[SIZE=-1]FenderBender[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]GM's Volt Battery Fires Threaten to Disrupt 'Moon Shot': Cars[SIZE=-1]BusinessWeek[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Chevy Volt battery fires prompt probe[SIZE=-1]Christian Science Monitor[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Reuters -San Francisco Chronicle -Automoblog.net (blog)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]all 1,239 news articles »[/SIZE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

More...

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Huh, this story just keeps getting bigger.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Wait, these fires were weeks after the test collisions. So no one was in any danger.

3. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Exactly. I've never seen anyone put a written-off car in their garage while dealing with insurance, so there is nobody driving it and its not inside. I don't see why this is such a huge safety issue. Possibly an insurance nightmare if one were to take out a lot full of salvage vehicles, but that's about it. It certainly wouldn't keep me from buying a Volt.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well, I can see that it might be put into a shop though and it could catch fire inside while waiting to be repaired. I guess it's possible that they could not see that the internal coolant lines got ruptured after a side-impact and maybe the poor bloke was driving to work or trying to recharge three weeks later and spark.

I just don't know. I've driven the volt and it's amazing so they just have to get battery security down now and that's about it.

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I guess I could see that happening. I imagine in most cases a vehicle with enough damage from a side impact to affect the battery pack would probably be totalled, but I know that isn't always the case.... My aunt was in an accident in her volvo a few years ago that did $16,500 damage when the car was only valued at $16,000 and her insurance company had it repaired.