1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM Oil Life Monitor

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ChevyFan, Apr 26, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Does anyone use the built-in Oil Life Monitor in their modern GM engine?

Also, who's using regular oil, synthetic or a blend? I'm thinking of moving to a 50/50% regular/synthetic blend and then maybe moving to 100% synthetic.
  2. abuelito

abuelito New Member

stevio,why go 50 50 why not go 100 percent,are you worried abut leakage,,if it will by pass gaskets,it will do it at 50 50 as well ,,so try it and see ,,,,i use mobil 1 ,,,abuelito
  3. 98BuickRegalGS

98BuickRegalGS New Member

I personally follow it.

The monitors are calibrated for Regular oil.

I use synthetics and since they last longer I figure using the OLM is an even better bet.

I usually change it at about 10% and thats about 7000 miles worth of driving for me, I'm on the freeway 90% of the time so 7000 miles makes sense.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm pretty much convinced I need to move to synthetics straight across from now on.

Quote from GM
  5. gmcjohnny

gmcjohnny Member

Steve just right to 100% last oil change took 5500miles an i only changed it because the message center on truck said to i use amsoil here in florida 5w30 an amsoil oil filter johnny
  6. Pyro81

Pyro81 New Member

I wouldn't bother with a 50/50 blend. I went straight to 100% synthetic after i bought it at about 20k miles with 5k mile oil change increments.
    I've read that the only time one shouldn't switch to synthetic is if their engine is an high mileage engine or if it didn't have good oil change intervals. The detergents in the synthetic can knock loose the sludge and crap that's built up and clog the oil passages. Then your stuck with a giant paper weight.

Edit: Oh, and i haven't payed attention to the OLM much. Maybe i will now.
  7. smithbuilt24

smithbuilt24 New Member

I am not using that supposed oil life moniter. I don't believe it works. I use mobil 1 full syn. extended life and the computer is still taking the same amount of time to decline the percentage if that makes any sense. Any ways I bought the truck with 8 miles on it and now have 6000. I have used full syn. for years and love it. I drive about 7k before changing. I know that mobil says 15k but thats ok I will pay more and change it more.
  8. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

when i first got my truck i was told that the oil life monitor is very percise and even had a built in margin for error .. after a few oil changes i accidently hit the reset button betwen changes and it returned to 100% leading me to believe that it was based on time therefor i no longer use it, nor would i recomend it..
  9. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am using Royal Purple (syn.) and using the OLM. As I have not really seen any real positives to using R.P., I will probably go back to Mobile 1 at the next oil change. Royal Purple is considerably higher than Mobil 1, but I figured I would give it a try. Bottom line, it is hard to beat Mobil 1.
  10. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm in the same boat right now. I put in Royal Purple because I heard it was really good. Then, I learn Mobil 1 would be just as good for my application, and it sure is less expensive! Oh well...live and learn!

I don't really look at the OLM that much. I peek at it every now and then just to see what it says. I plan on running 6K on this oil change (putting on a new filter at 3K due to a tip I got that Fram filters suck) then switching to Mobil 1. After that switch, I'll probably run about 7K or so between changes.