GM Proving Grounds Mesa, AZ

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've read conflicting information on the GM Proving Grounds in Mesa, AZ. Anyone know what the status is? Did they move to Yuma, AZ yet?

2. ChevyFan

Looks like they sold it in late 2006, but have until the end of this year to leave.

GM reaches deal to sell Desert Proving Ground

Lars Jacoby
    The Arizona Republic
    Nov. 10, 2006 05:25 PM

General Motors announced Friday that they have reached an agreement to sell the General Motors Desert Proving Ground in southeast Mesa.

There will be a three-year transition in which time GM can continue its operations before relinquishing the property to its new owner. GM has been testing vehicles at the property since 1953.

3. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They can just have us test their vehicles. Best ideas come those who use the product.

4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

They can send me some trucks to test out.

5. ChevyFan

There are several "proving grounds" down here, Chrysler has one to the Northwest of Surprise, AZ, so they can test vehicles on open road in the high heat.

The problem with the GM grounds in Mesa is that they city started to grow around them, so I've read that they are selling to housing developments and also to the US Govt. Not sure which story is true. Maybe they sold to a development that then folded and they got it back to re-sell it? I dunno.