1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM Sales Soar in Latin America, Africa and the Middle East

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

[ GM Corporate USA ]
    Miramar, FL - General Motors Latin America, Africa & Middle East (GM LAAM) region set a new all-time quarterly sales record in Q2 2007, selling over 293,000 vehicles, up 48,300 units over the same period last year. In addition, GM's quarterly market share in the region increased 0.2 percent to 17.0 percent. ...

More...
  2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

World wide GM does well-USA is the problem.

It is nice to see GM doing well worldwide.GM makes some nice FE vehicles.In Europe they have a mini minivan(about 184 inches long I think-I think it is called the ZAFIRA??) that would be a great road trip vehicle here in the USA. It is a 6 seater,I think with 3 rows of two.The seats can flop down I guess,so it can carry lots of "stuff" dogs,cats,ice chests etc-the usual USA roadtrip stuff.The great thing about it is that it gets an honest 35-40 mpg on the highway at USA type interstate speeds.It gets this great mpg because it has a modern turbo diesel motor.GM makes lots of small diesels for overseas markets, but we don't get them(ignoring EPA regs,and just recently getting low sulphur diesel) because they are fairly expensive(over $25000).GM has made the decision that they can't sell them for a profit in the USA-YET!
    This might change of course,since gas is bound to spike again,and every spike drives folks to buy smaller vehicles(AVEO,FIT,YARIS are all 150" vehicles that would have died on the vine in 2000).
    GM has a huge problem here in the USA(foreign manufacturers have come in and built plants in union unfriendly states-they pay less than 1/2 what GM pays,and they don't have any retirees).However GMs problem isn't that they can't build desirable small vehicles.Heck,a couple of years ago GM traded some small diesels to Honda in exchange for the Honda V6 and 5 speed transmision(in the VUE-made it the pocket rocketship of small SUVs-0-60 in 7.3 seconds).GM can't build small vehicles here at a profit.

Good to see some positive news from GM.
    Thanks,
    Charlie