Newest Gallery Photos

  1. Chevy Truck Forum

    Welcome To!

    The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

    Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

    Join Today ~ It's Free

    Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

GM Synchromesh Alternative

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by cmcoram, Aug 12, 2009.

  1. cmcoram

    cmcoram New Member

    Is there a reliable one out there?
  2. cmcoram

    cmcoram New Member

  3. Jimmiee

    Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    I have never seen one. The syncromesh oil has several friction modifiers and if you use regular oil the trans becomes hard to shift. I guess you could experiment with posi additives and such but why chance it? The syncro's are paper backed and not conventional brass blockers and the wrong oil can cause early failure. JMO
  4. cmcoram

    cmcoram New Member

    Ok, that's what I was looking for. Guess I will have to go to the dealer. The TC has a tag on it, I was told that this means the fluid needs an additive. Anyone know about this?
  5. Jimmiee

    Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    TC? Do you mean transfer case? Which vehicle are referring to?
  6. cmcoram

    cmcoram New Member

    The transfer case on my Collie. The Haynes manual says that some transfer cases need an additive in adition to the recommended fluid, and that if the TC needs, there will be a tag on the TC. My TC has a tag on it.
  7. Jimmiee

    Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    What is the number stamped on the round tag on the back of the case? All cases have an ID tag riveted to the back of the case.
    As far as additives go I have never seen an additive for a transfer case. The rear differentials called for additives if they contained a clutch style positraction. If you have a clutch style AWD transfer case then the OE fluid is all you need. Post the ID number and we'll be able to tell you exactly which oil to use.
  8. cmcoram

    cmcoram New Member

    15124255. Its on a tag wrapped around the cable on the front of the TC. The cable runs from the right front of the TC to the left drive axle. It may just be the part number for that cable, but I want to be certain that I get the right fluid before I start draining and filling.

Share This Page