GM to close Pontiac ???

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What does everyone think about GM closing down the Pontiac Brand?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/24/gm-shed-pontiac-close-plants/

General Motors Corp. is readying plans to shed its Pontiac brand, shutter more factories and launch a bond exchange aimed at eliminating billions in debt, people familiar with the matter said Friday, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

The auto maker, facing a June 1 federal deadline to dramatically restructure or go bankrupt, is preparing early next week to detail the progress it has made on the stepped-up recovery plan demanded by the Obama administration. GM is expected to announce plans to eliminate or sell its poorly performing Pontiac brand, according to several people who have been briefed on the plan.

Previously, GM said it would keep one or two Pontiac models as a niche brand. But the Obama administration is pressuring GM to go further in downsizing its money-losing operations.
    Click here for more on this story from the Wall Street Journal.

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

:grrrrrr: Kinda disappointing, but what are ya gonna do! I love Pontiacs! :great:

Attached Files:

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I hate to see them "kill" another brand, but if you don't have money to operate you have to take drastic measures. They are going to shut down 16 plants for several weeks this summer and that will be felt all the way down to all the many suppliers that depend on GM to keep their companies going. I do hope it all works out for the best, but only time will tell.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't know Pontiac is kind of a played out brand, I know that everyone love that 3600 series motor but some things just need to be retired. Maybe they will get a new brand with more flare, I'll be curious to see what goes next. I know if they cut GMC you will here people screaming from all around the world, there are some serious loyalists in that group for sure.

5. 04SilverChevy

04SilverChevy Rockstar 100 Posts

Kinda sux... i really like the new G8 GT's. But oh well... gotta do what ya gotta do.

6. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

oh yea. those g8 gt's are freakin sweet.
    its a damn shame to see what was once such a big part of nascar go down