1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by steingang2, May 5, 2010.

1. steingang2

steingang2 New Member

I am thinking of buying the GM tonneau cover for my 2010 silverado. The price is about $50 dollars more than everywhere else. It has integrated support bars which I like. Is it worth it? Does it sit on top of the rails or inside them? Does it use velcro or tongue and groove? Does anyone have one and recommend it. I like the folding ones too but they only fold 2/3 of the way and with a crew cab short bed the bed is small our thoughts?
  2. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

I just bought a hard GM folding tonno for my 2008 CC. I purchased it from a member here, BigwaterJim. Got a great price on it, and the transaction was flawless. :great:
    I installed it yesterday. It looks great. The tonno sits on the bed rails and almost completely covers the stake holes leaving maybe a 1/16 of an inch on each side, which you can't really see anyway. I installed it right on the bed without any rail protectors. Did I mention it looks great? I like the idea of the tri-fold and it being a hard cover. It is light and will remove easily to carry my dirt bikes, or allow for full bed access. With my locking tailgate I also still have some security for items in the bed when it is closed. Removing the cap and installing the tonno has changed the look of my truck dramatically. Yup, it looks great! :glasses:
    I'll have to post some pics soon!
  3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 2009 came with the soft cover, and I love it. As XSive said you get some protection with the locking tailgate. It's not as secure as the hard cover, but I leave my golf clubs in there all the time. With the soft cover, I'm able to load the truck to the top of the rails and cover it up. You'd never know.

The soft cover rolls up as little or as much as you need. Most of the time I have it closed for better MPG, but it's easy to roll up. The cover itself velcros to the mounting rails. Easy to install, nice look and fairly easy to clean. One note, the dealership installed the rails incorrectly, but it was easy to fix.
  4. XS ive

Where on LI are you Al? There are two of us from the east end
  5. Als09Sierra

I'm inland a little in East Northport. Who else is out east? Do you ever go out on the beach with your truck?
  6. steingang2

steingang2 New Member

Now I know it is velcro, but does the soft cover mount to the top of the rails concealing the stake pockets or does it mount inside the rails? I love the look of the folding covers but most only fold up 2/3 of the way and I want full access to the bed.
  7. Als09Sierra

These pics show that the cover rails mount over the stake pockets. You can rollup the softcover to get full access to the bed, and you can also keep your stuff covered and protect it from rain and prying eyes. You do lose access to the pockets, but that's not an issue for me. I also have the bed mat which keeps water from underneath the truck from getting to my stuff, and to keep things from sliding around.

Attached Files:

8. XS ive

That cover sits on the rails just like the tri-fold, of which I have no pictures yet :no:
    As far as the beach, I did a ground up restoration in '95 of a 1977 FJ40 LandCruiser for the beach. :great:
  9. grayzweb

grayzweb New Member

I am thinking of buying that cover for my 07 Silverado (NBS). I am looking at the GM one or the Extang Revolution. They look very similar and the side rails are mounted inside of the bed giving it the low profile look.

I was looking to see if any one had the GM one and if they liked it. Or if anyone could compare it with the Extang? Like the OP said, it is only about $50 difference. The GM one has the bowtie embossed on it though :)
  10. deepstuff

deepstuff Rockstar

Anyone know who makes the GM cover? or where I can get a parts list. One of the sliding rubber latcjhes is missing from my tail rail.