Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

GM Truck plant closure

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Cableguy, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well since the annoucement of the Oshawa Truck plant closure here.
    All hells going to break lose, As of 6am this morning the workers have formed a blockade to head office. :rofl: ....Game on!

The're about to feel the brunt of the CAW...Go my brothers Go! :great:

Stay tuned for the kaos. If I may quote Buzz Hargrove pres of the CAW
    "Over my god damn dead body, its going to Mexico"

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_23409.aspx

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, game on. It looks like it's a major shift in the thinking at GM ... this is not a small issue, believe me, this came from the top and they had to make a decision for the future of the whole company moving forward ... especially in light of $4/gallon gasoline in the US. Truck and SUV sales have been ok for the past few years because of incentives, doesn't look like that's going to continue on forever.

3. Cableguy

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

God bless them for trying to keep their jobs, but it's a pretty sweeping move. You don't just change direction on shutdowns like this ... short of seeing gasoline go to $1.50/gallon. :neutral:

5. Cableguy

6. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It’s a disgrace , I agree the trucks don’t sell anymore but make them more fuel efficient instead of putting people out of work .:grrrrrr:
    We had the same trouble over here in Belgium with Renault putting 1400 people out of work. They shipped the whole production line to eastern Europe the cost of labor over there is 10% compared to Belgium I think GM is doing the same with moving to Mexico.:whip:

7. branhap

branhap New Member

So which plant(s) wiil be left to build Silverados with the plant closings? I did see that even the Mexico plant is being shuttered, so I'm not sure that they are just shipping it down to Mexico. (UNless there are multiple plants in Mexico for the trucks)

Paul

8. ChevyFan

9. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yeah, that sucks, but it was inevitable. Gas prices go up, gas guzzler sales go down, and no sign of that changing. GM obviously can't keep producing them in the volume they are now and continue slashing prices and taking huge loses.

And while trucks sales will go down, they aren't going to disappear. Lots of folks still really do need trucks!

10. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea i agree im kinda surprised it hasnt happened already but gas is rising faster than it ever has now. its too bad GM has to come to this