1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM vehicles with AFM

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by My99Silverado, Nov 19, 2012.

1. My99Silverado

My99Silverado New Member

I am looking for a couple people with relatively unmodified GM trucks with AFM to test out a new product that will increase your gas mileage. Here is a link to the product www.rangetechnology.com. Basically what it does is put increase the amount of time spent in 4 cylinder mode.
    All that is needed is 5-10 people willing to test out the product and get the word out there by writing reviews/giving feedback. No cost to you.
    PM me if you are interested.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, I might be interested; however, it sounds like it is a modification to the tables/parms within the PCM flash. Rumour, on the street, is that GM has the ability to detect a PCM re-flash and can void the warranty if detected. Can you comment?
  3. My99Silverado

My99Silverado New Member

I am not with the company, I am just one of you guys but I was in contact with one of the owners of the new product who asked me to find 5-10 other people to test the product and give feedback. I voiced your concern to him and he replied "We do not reflash. It is all done via messages on the CAN. 100% undetectable. Also - we have some dealers that are interested in the product."
  4. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

And when should one expect to see a reply to the PM or to an e-mail sent to Adam as he requested in the other post on the "how to increase MPG" thread?
  5. RayVoy

As I said above, I'm interested, but my main concern is around the time spent in 4 cylinder mode. There are some concerns that the block will heat unevenly while in 4 cylinder, prolonging that period may cause some problems. Just my 2 cents.
  6. dobey

Given how the AFM cylinders are spread across the V8 engines, I suspect this is just a baseless fear. As long as the cylinders continue to recieve proper oiling, there shouldn't be an issue.
  7. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I might be interested
  8. RayVoy

Actually, it appears to be a real problem. A lot of speculation that the uneven heating/cooling is contributing to the higher than normal oil consumption in these engines.
  9. dobey

Is it a real problem, or is it speculation? It can't be both. People have been complaining about "higher than normal" oil consumption on the LS series since it was introduced in 1997, in one form or another. So it's very hard to guess at what the problem may be for whoever you say is complaining about it. Do you have links to hard evidence about uneven heating, and/or oil consumption, or are you just passing on the hearsay?
  10. RayVoy

I believe I said "it appears to be a problem". I'm not looking for an argument, you however appear (using your 1st post on this thread as reference) to have a little bit of an attitude with this product, or the supplier. GM's programming forces V4 back to V8 with very little load difference we need to ask why. Is it because load, even a small load, causes heat, and is GM worried about too much heat if the engine stays in V4.

Again, I'm not looking for a debate, my apologies to the OP.