1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM vs Kool Vue Mirrors

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by ajarman, Jun 12, 2010.

1. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So I am wanting to up grade from my DL8 mirrors on my '08 1500 to the tow mirrors that have heat, power and turn signal. My stocks have those features already except the turn signals. I stoped by the local chevy dealership this morning and they wanted $400 a mirror and that was not installed. I have searched on here and found a brand call Kool Vue which have they for like have the price.

My question is has anybody have good luck with these mirrors? I have read that at highway speeds they will fold in on their own. Could the price bee too good to be true? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  2. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Rockstar 100 Posts

If you have read people are having issues with them folding on the highway,(just my 2 cents) I would avoid them. You might look for for OEMs in a salvage yard or used online. Just a thought.
  3. ryed

ryed New Member

+1 on the salvage yard route. It might take some time to find, but the mirrors will be plug & play, and you know they will fit and operate correctly.
  4. ajarman

Not all reviews are negitive on the Kool Vue mirrors that I have read, but the mirrors folding with high speeds increases my concerns. I have read many great reviews and just wanted to check to see if anybody on this forum has had any luck with them.

The junk yard is not a bad idea at all!!

Thanks guys
  5. bluestreak94

bluestreak94 Rockstar

Yes, I have them on my '04 Suburban, I haven't had any problem with them whatsoever. and your right, they are super cheap compared to OEM, mine cost me $250 for the pair power and heated, ( I would have got the ones that have the integrated signal but I wasn't sure if the signals would work since my truck doesn't have signals originally)
    And surprisingly for the price they're made really well, the heating element is awesome! I had the misfortune of a cube van ripping my passenger mirror practically right off, I got to see how they're made from the inside out, and I can tell you that they're made really well!
    As for the high speed folding, it's never happened to me and I've had them for over 1 year.
    Hope this helps! :)
  6. ajarman

Bluestreak94, that helps a lot. When the van took off your mirror were you or are you happy enough with Kool Vue to replace it with another from them??

Thanks for the reply!
  7. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I have had no problems with my Kool Vues. They fit and look like OEM mirrors but are much cheaper in price. Mine have never folded in even when at 80 on the highway with a strong headwind.
  8. kc2kth

kc2kth New Member

Replaced the driver side power mirror on my '97 2500 with a KV. Not bad, never had the fold in issue. That might be related to an aging KV that is starting to give out perhaps? Just traded my truck and probably had 5k miles on it after I replaced the mirror. My issue with the KV was after just one year (in NJ) the mirror didn't always want adjust correctly. I did find that moving the mirror to the extreme in the opposite direction that it wouldn't move in (won't go up? move to extreme lowest position.) would get it going in the direction you wanted again, at least for a while.
  9. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

No problems with the kool vue mirrors on my truck..
  10. ajarman

With the good responses on here I am thinking I will be spending my money on the Kool Vue rather than the big bucks at the dealership.

thanks guys!