Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

GM wants to Dump "CHEVY" nickname, keep "CHEVROLET"

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just caught the headlines this morning on some of the news sites that I visit, and I was caught off guard by something going on with GM marketing.

Doesn't it always start with a memo?
    Turns out that yesterday, Tuesday June 9th, 2010, GM executives Alan Batey (VP for Chevy Sales and Service) and Jim Campbell (VP for Marketing) sent a memo out to Detroit employees urging them to stop using a certain word. If they used that word, they can be fined by the company!

What's the word? Some horrible cuss word that makes mothers put their hands over their children's ears? Some terrible punchline to a joke where everyone is embarrassed? Some disturbing racial slur? What can it be that would be so important?

The offensive word that's off-limits to GM employees is CHEVY. signed by Alan Batey, vice president for Chevrolet sales and service, and Jim Campbell, the G.M. division’s vice president for marketing

Group-think marketing at it's finest!
    GM wants to get rid of the Chevy nickname in favor of "brand consistency" for the official name, Chevrolet. But, the Chevy brand (which is a brand!) often means more to many people (myself included) than the official name itself. Remember GM, YOU DON'T MAKE THE BRAND, the CUSTOMER makes and owns the brand and we collectively make it what it is.

Think about it, when did you last ask for a Coca Cola? No, you ask for a Coke (as their memo discusses) or Diet Coke or Coke Zero or Caffiene-free Diet Coke. We know the brand, we know the products, we get it. For this logic to apply, BMW should seek it's full name usage, Bavarian Motor Werks. KFC should go back to Kentucky Fried Chicken (which they wanted to get away from the thought of fried food in the first place), and the list goes on. I can't even remember how to spell the full name for the Husky chainsaw that I have in my garage, I think it's Husqvarna.

Where is all of this going?
    Just a really STUPID decision, that's all I can sum it up to. Honestly, I am in marketing and this is "new coke" level of marketing incompetence.

Thoughts?

2. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

guess they used the marketing agency FUBAR & SNAFU !!!

3. shivam

shivam New Member

yeh,its a good idea.the name is the brand so its good

4. RekeGMC

RekeGMC New Member

It will be hard burying the spoken word that is CHEVY; more less deviate from the affectionate word of CHEVY.