1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM wheel hubs.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 02z71, Nov 26, 2009.

1. 02z71

02z71 Member

So I'm getting the 02 silverado :
    and I'm seeing the discussions about sudden dangerous hup bearing failures.

What is a quick effective way to do regular inspection ? Jack up the corner and check for play ie. wobble, noise, resistance to rotation etc...? How often?l

You can't do a preventative? No way to pull hubs and lube? "Adj preload? Can't you drill and tap the u joints for zerts?
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have never seen a premature hub bearing failure on a well maintained vehicle. Bearing failures are not isolated to just GM trucks. In my 30+ years of driving, I've seen plenty of vehicles on the side of the road with bearing failures.

If you don't know the history of the maintenance on your truck replace the bearings and you will have a baseline to work from. Otherwise raise the vehicle and grab the top and bottom of the tire and check for play.

Some Warning Signals Of Imminent Bearing Failure:

• Increased vehicle vibration.
    • Any increase in "rolling noise."
    • Elevation of operating temperatures which can show up as a burning odor at the affected wheel or even indications of smoke and lubricant leakage.