GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

GMC 3500 HD Diesel won't start

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Trucker, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Trucker

Trucker New Member

Hi,

I am new here, referred by a friend. I have had a problem with my GMC 3500 Sierra since about the time I got it. When in reverse and not hitting the fuel pedal, it would often surge with a puff of smoke. The dealer did not know the problem and they sent a man from Detroit out and put a black box in it for a while. Nothing was ever found.

I dealt with the surge issue. Later I found that when the front tank emptied it would stall. Thought back tank fuel filter was problem - cleaned out tank and replaced filter.

Problem continued soon after.

Gauge on dash acted funky looking empty when full etc.

Now, it won't start. Acts like it is not getting fuel, both tanks are full and there is a fluttering sound at the front fuel tank where the fuel pump is.

I found that the FSD, PMD or Fuel Pump Module Driver can cause the surge, stalling, and problem starting issues. It is a little box that would be easy to install, if I could find it. I also found that a bad fuel lift can cause this problem. I think the whole time it has been the FSD but I also think it could be a lift pump that is keeping it from starting.

I don't know where either one of these are located and I am wondering if anyone in here has a clue as to what they would do in this position. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I apprciate any assistance you may offer.

This link mentions the conditions that occur with a bad FSD, PMD or Fuel Pump Module Driver : http://www.acpartshouse.com/ShowItem/116770 New Fuel Pump Driver Module.aspx
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the site, someone should be able to help you out.
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I believe Your PMD is on the fuel pump.
  4. donyms

donyms New Member

Welcome to the site, it's good to have you with us. Good luck on your problem. :glasses:
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great: Good luck with your issue.
  6. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member

Welcome to the forum, I need a little more info on your truck. Can you tell me what year it is? What size engine, 6.2, 6.5, or Duramax? I don't know much about the Duramax, but there are people who do. I may have to refer you to another site, that has more info and help available. On the basis that we are discussing a 1999 or older Chevy, I will assume you mean a 6.5 TD engine. The 6.2 is the same, just older and easier to work with. On the top front of the engine, directly behind the radiator hose outlet, is the IP or injection Pump, on these turbo diesels there is a brain box on top of the IP, we call it the PMD, or pump mounted driver. It's the brains of the engine. Because it's mounted on the top front of the motor, it's subjected to a lot of heat and vibration. Thus they fail often enough that aftermarket companies have made relocation kits that allow you to move it from the engine to behind the front bumper, or fender skirt. One of the things you learn about the 6.2/6.5 diesel motors is to NEVER run the fuel system dry of fuel. Doing so, leaves the truck unable to start, until the entire fuel system is bled, meaning the air in the lines, filter and pump must be removed, before the engine will start. Fuel pumps built into the tanks must be checked for pressure before they can be ruled out as a cause of problems. I checked your link out and that PMD looks ok, but again, I would buy a relocation kit and mount it where it will stay cool and dry. Here's the first site I found and joined to learn about my truck. I rate them very highly.
    http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/
    More interesting reading for you and anyone else interested in learning about their GM or Ford diesel motor.
    http://www.forgottendiesels.com/6.5_gm.html

I am also a member there as well. You will find many other people there with more knowledge on later model diesel engines. You will find many articles too. I will do what I can to help too. Please let us know how it's going, and good luck.
    Brian L.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  7. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

Welcome to the G M T C !
  8. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member

Welcome to the club! You've come to the right spot.
  9. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

Welcome...........
  10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

Welcome to the Club!!!

*****Moved Thread*****
  11. ChevyHD

ChevyHD New Member

Yes, as mentioned above, it's hard for us to give you help without the year of truck.
  12. Trucker

Trucker New Member

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your reply. It is packed with good information.

My truck is a 2000 with a 6.5 diesel. It is probably on the engine and yes, relocating it would be a good idea. I believe that heat may be the issue. I also, had been involed in a front end collision about a few hundred miles ago, so that could be an issue also.

I have tried to find it on the engine but still cannot.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Thanks to all those who welcomed me. I think I will like this forum and maybe be able to help others in the future.
  13. ChevyHD

ChevyHD New Member

Sorry, I'm not much help on the 6.5/6.2. More of a duramax guy myself.
  14. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member

Here ia a thread on another site I found that will help you decide if continuing this job yourself is within your abilities. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2992199&postcount=2 I have found a couple vids but they are so poorly shot that you will have a headache before you get halfway through, and they aren't very clear to see either. I will keep looking, and post the best pics I can find. The best thing you can do now, is get yourself a Haynes or Chilton manual that covers the 6.5 TD engine in detail,and read about the PMD. I was wrong about it being on top of the IP, it's on the side, and you can either remove and replace it, or just unplug the harness from it, add an extension, and place a new one in a cooler spot. Removing the cruise control assembly, and the coolant crossover, may help you get to the top and side of the IP. More to come, and good luck.
    Brian L.
  15. Trucker

Trucker New Member

Brian, you made good sense

This makes the most sense. Thanks a lot I did not see the video you mentioned.

I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9oX2qo7Sk
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  16. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member

That's the nicest one I ever saw. Good work finding that one. The two I found sucked. That's why I didn't post them. If you need anything else, let us know, and we will help all we can.
    Brian L.
  17. Trucker

Trucker New Member

You have helped tremendously and I appreciate it very much!!! :happy:

I think that I may have found the PMD or FSD. I took a picture below for review.

Do you think this may be it?

Attached Files:

18. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member

Looks like you nailed it on the head. Nice job man! If that's on the left side of the engine, passenger side, I believe you got it.
    Brian L.