1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GMC Canyon engine upgrade.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by tiltonb, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tiltonb

tiltonb New Member

Is it difficult to drop a 5 cylinder motor into a Canyon which has a 4 cylinder?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would just do a V6 or V8... If I remember right there is only a 20 HP difference in the 4-5..
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just did a v8 swap in my 04 Colorado, 5.7 ls1 out of a camaro. Save your pennies and dimes, I have over $10,000 in the swap and it's still not done. We did all the work ourselves, except for some welding which was sent out.
  4. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

TRPLX2---will you be able to keep the rubber on the rims with a 5.7....
    Boy and I'll bet she goes when completed Brian
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

PICS NOW!!!!

i briefly toyed with getting a new 2012 colrado with a 5.3. id love to see a ls1 crammed in that engine bay....

Alex
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Here's a teaser for ya, when I get home I will make a build thread so you can see all the photos.

Attached Files:

7. Sierraowner5.3

drool...............

that looks awsome!

video maybe?

Alex
  8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

You can get a Colorado with a 5.3L and they have 300HP. That's more powerful than the 5.7L engines.

From what I understand, the stock Colorado with a 5.3L does 14.50 in the 1/4 mile. That's way quicker than a Silverado.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

the ls1 in the old cameros was no 5.7 truck engine.

Alex
  10. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

the new 5.3 cans have 300hp, 320 ftlbs while the silverado 5.3 has 315hp, 335ftlbs. id either try and put a 5.3 in it and get it tuned better OR trade your truck in towards a factory 5.3 can.