GMC tire pressure monitors

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ktm3fitty, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ktm3fitty

ktm3fitty New Member

So i bought new tires yesterday for my 2009 GMC Sierra . I went up one size to 275/75 18 i think it was. Anyway after they got done and brought it out to me , i noticed that the tire pressure looked low. he says that he cant put the right amount of pressure in them because the TPM system will notice . Everything i read in the manual talked about low air pressure, nothing about high. The truck drove awful and i have to put the right amount of air in them. Is this going to affect anything or will the TPM even notice?

2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I went from a C rated DuraTrac to a E rated Trail Grapp and the dealership put 58psi in the tires and said if any less it would run soft. Once it got warmer outside I noticed that I would get the (!) light on and it was read out check tire pressure. I called the dealership and they said could not re-program my TPMS for legal reasons. I did some searching and found out it was OK for me to run the tires at 42psi and they ride great and no warning lights.

3. icemncmth

icemncmth Rockstar

I know a few fellas with 07's that won't reset by themselves (stupid factory) and they have removed the TPMS sensors and put them in a little dolly tire and run the pressure up to 35psi. They put that little tire behind the front seat or backseat and that keeps the TPMS happy. All 4 of the sensors are placed inside the little tire so as long as the tire stays at 35 psi you are good to run whatever pressure you want on your regular tires without the system going nuts.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

thats hillarius and genius at the same time. seems that there is always a new issue that pops up with every new little feature that is supposed to help out.

5. jreagan

jreagan Rockstar

That wouldn't work on some TPMS systems (like my Honda CR-V). The sensors "sleep" when not moving and only come online as the wheel rotates. The computer would complain that the Honda was moving but the wheels have yet to send a single.

6. icemncmth

icemncmth Rockstar

Yes...but your Honda's will reset themselves. My 2007 Silverado won't. Pressure drops and you have to try to relearn the system and good luck with that. What I do is once a month I have my tires rotated and they have to reset them.

7. dsfloyd

I would say its more important to run correct pressure. If the TPM doesnt like it all it does is put up the light right?(I dont have TPMS so I dont know). Might be annoying to have a light on but I would think ride quality, proper tire wear and fuel mileage would be more important. Can you pull the light or fuse for the TPM (once again this is assuming that is all that happens when the pressure is off that it just puts up a light)

8. icemncmth

icemncmth Rockstar

I know on my 07 it is a light and you will get a message over your odometer. Kind of a pain.

9. dsfloyd

d@mn technology:grrrrrr:. kinda goes back to hiding them in a small dolly wheel. HA