GMC TopKick Forum and Photos

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by ChevyFan, Dec 25, 2007.

1. GMPartsClub

GMPartsClub Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts GMTC Sponsor

There is still an ample supply of these vehicles that companies (or individuals) can get at a good rate, so if someone wanted to get one, now is the time. Don't worry about service, there are master distributors for parts setup in each major metropolitan area to cover all vehicles sold for at least 10 years or longer.

2. Dream2000

Dream2000 New Member

I have one, an '07 Ironhide.

I love it.

DSC00749 (Medium).jpg

3. Gator

Gator New Member

Howdy folks. This is my first post here, I just cam across this forum today... I was hoping to find some discussion of common problems with other Topkick/Kodiak owners that I am certain have similar issues as me!
    I bought my Topkick (4500) new in mid '07 for use as a 'Hot Shot' truck. We've been tearing up 1-tons for years, and the price was comparable to a new 1-ton, so I decided to try it out. I now have a good bit over 100k miles on it, and while overall happy with the truck, it does have its fair share of 'quirks'!

The Duramax/Allison has plenty of power under light loads (and will flat out smoke when empty) but under a heavy load it lags where a straight 6 Diesel will have the torque to keep going...
    The BEST fuel mileage I have EVER gotten is around 13-14, and that was empty, without a trailer (downhill/tailwind/etc...) I average around 8-9... Maybe the 6-spd 5500 does better?

The truck has rode rough since new. Always a vibration/shake at certain speeds. 'Centramatic Balance Rings' on the front helped some, but the problem still exists, and both the dealer service center and the tire shop told me "Thats just how these trucks ride" basically 'live with it...'
    The truck is also really hard on front tires!
    >I am currently trying to get it in for an alignment and new front (and possibly rear) shocks. Unfortunately there are no 'upgraded' shocks available, only the 'factory' and they are $140 each!

Air Pump: I am now about to put on #4! the first three were replaced under warranty, however they will not warranty it now even though they obviously have a problem in this area! The pump is about $220, not including labor!

I also had 3 of my door handles replaced under warranty, oddly enough, the drivers door wasn't one of them! It will probably fail next, and I have no idea what a new handle will cost me, but probably not cheap...

EGR valve was actually re-called on this truck, although no notice was sent out, this caused me some problems on the road and had to 'limp' back to a service center to have it fixed.

Standard fuel capacity: 40 gallons for a 'truck' designed for transport?!?!?! Thats just ridiculously low, which means I HAD to add an auxiliary tank on the bed which severely hampers what I can carry! A 9.5 ft bed is now a 6.5ft bed! But I cannot afford to be limited to that little fuel unless the mileage is over 20mpg!

Now that I have 'complained' about the 'problems' with this truck... I will say that I do really like my truck! It definitely gets lots of looks, though that is certainly NOT why I bought it! I like the way it sits, and the turning radius is an absolute Godsend! The cab room sure beats ANY pickup! And the weight handling capabilities are really nice compared to the limited rated capacity of a pickup.

Just as a note... I would NOT own this truck as a 'personal' vehicle... It is designed for work, and does a good job of that, but is WAY too costly/rough/etc to have if you do not have an actual NEED for this type of vehicle...

Also, Having spent as many miles in this truck as I have, as well as having spent well over a million miles in various other types of trucks from pickups through class 8 and heavy haul, I can probably answer any questions that you may have about this truck, as well as how it compares to others...

I look forward to talking to you all!
    ~Gator

4. Gator

Gator New Member

Figured you guys would probably like a picture, this one is about a year and a half old, but the truck still looks pretty much the same!

Attached Files:

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Let's get some more GMC Topkick photos up here, I'm just in love with that way that truck looks!

6. 6.0gmt800

6.0gmt800 New Member

I owned an 86 topkick 6500 rollback, does that count? It was a brute of a truck, more like a tank really with the 3208.

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sure that counts! Have any pictures of that old beast?

8. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Cool I like the truck on the trailer.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Call Monroe for shocks they even have a good warranty that they will back. Unlike OeM . Monroe makes for trucks of all sizes just gota get their truck catalog

9. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

Top Kick is no more Glad I have mine, and will most likely grab up another one when the opportunity arrises...:sign0005: dirty dog#2.jpg

10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We have one we use to haul our race cars, I love the thing, I have heard of a lot of problems but so far we have 80k on it with no problems, it's been juiced up a bit I don't know if that made a difference or not