1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GM's Vauxhall Vivaro

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by unplugged, Apr 5, 2008.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Last week I was in Palm Desert and spotted a curious looking vehicle (see pic below) It was a Renault Traffic. It had Mexican license plates which explained the presence of a new Renault in the USA, since Renault hasn't sold anything here since the LeCar of the 80's. That's when Renault sold it's interest in AMC and left the US market.

I did a little research and it turns out that the vehicle is made as part of a joint venture between GM and Renault. It is sold as the Vauxhall Vivaro, Opel Vivaro, and Renault Traffic. It is also manufactured by Nissan and sold as the Nissan Primastar. See Wikipedia for more info.

It's 188" overall length puts it between the HHR's 176" and the Uplander's 191"
    It seats up to 9 passengers with a open, airy floorplan:
    [​IMG]

A very cool looking people mover. Let's hope GM brings it stateside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

"curious looking vehicle" is right. Looks like it was designed after the Dodge Sprint van actually.

Not sure what I think about this. It's not turn-your-head hideous, but it's not traditional either. You can certainly get 9 people in there easily it looks like with headroom for all.
  3. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I see them every day, if you want my opinion it's an ugly car :no:
    No way I'm going to drive something like that.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I drove the work van version for a few months in Brazil, it was ok. Cant say I was impressed with it tho. But in it's defense I dont care for any type of van.
  5. ChevyFan

It looks like a guy from the hotel should be running out of it to get my bags so he can drive me to the airport. ;-)
  6. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

when i went down to mexico on vacation the tour guides we went with had a few, they were comfy, im 6'2 and i had plenty of leg room which is always a plus in a vehicle when your tall
  7. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The Sprinter is a full size van, where the Vivaro is sub-mini van. They do share some visual cues.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  8. ChevyFan

Huh, I guess there aren't any cues for me to see how big it really is. I just assumed that it was the size of a Sprinter. What's the overall dimensions on this van? I guess you can kind-of go off of the door handle height, as if they were both off the ground about the same height.