GM's woes and problems

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I don't think that anyone can deny it, but GM is having problems. The question is, how long will this last? Is it just oil prices that's driving people to smaller and more fuel efficient (or they think more fuel-efficient) vehicles or is the company just managed poorly?

I think that it's just a glitch and that things will work out over a several quarter perior, but GM needs to listed to the market a little bit closer and be able to respond more quickly.

2. OldDiesel

OldDiesel Rockstar 100 Posts

I touched on this in the midsize suv thread. I think that GM has stopped building cars and trucks people want, and are now telling people to buy what they want to sell. I think that it'll take more than just a couple of quarters to get it straight. I look to the year 2010 for the beginning of GM's next "golden age".

3. ChevyFan

Fuel has only been a really hot issue for about 2 years. Maybe I'm odd (maybe?) but I'm trying to split the difference. Monday through Friday I'm in the little car that gets 30+ MPG. The wife is in the Trailblazer which gets 16-18 MPG, but she drives about 20% of what I do. That's 90% of our driving and it aveages in the upper 20's for fuel cost/mile driven.

What about style? How does GM score for style vs. asian/euro competition?

4. OldDiesel

OldDiesel Rockstar 100 Posts

Style wise, I think that GM has started taking steps in the right direction, but really need to step up if they wanna play in the big leagues. Now as far as my personal taste goes, I lean toward Mazda as my choice as far as a Japanese car goes, and honestly, I'd look at a VW or Audi for a Euro. The truth is though, I don't wanna buy an import, so Ford *gasp* has been getting my attention with their Freestyle for my next new (read: used in a couple years) vehicle. Of course, that could all change with the new pony car wars heating up.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I think that Chevy lost market share to Ford, and Dodge, because of style, and capability. Certainly poor management has contributed as well. But while ford, and dodge, have both been in the consumer's face and battling it out for the bigger, badder truck, Chevy has been sitting back, and just going with the "if it aint broke don't fix it" attitude. Granted GM made some important style changes, but I'm thinking they need to hire on some new design talent. I agree with old diesel, that GM's golden age is 2010....my concern is, will they last that long though?? A final thought might go toward the idea of sinking tons of cash into HUMMER. A novelty at best, and I'm sure the sales of HUMMER's have not been enough to offset dedicating production time to it. In my opinion, GM just seems to buy into bad financial ventures ... Daewoo, Geo, Hummer. Which goes back to Steve's point of bad managerial decisions.

6. ChevyFan

Anyone have the latest sales numbers for GM?

7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I’m going to regret saying this. Because I am older now, 51. But here goes.

GM is being run into the ground by the board of directors. All so old they have lost touch with the world, and just care about what they think is the way it should be done.

They have lost touch with the real world, don’t care about anything but their pay.

We get rid of them and Maybe, just maybe put someone in who wants the company to be what it was, not just a place for them to make their millions to retire on.

Then they will be back in the game.

8. ChevyFan

Just noticed this old post. The problems have been coming now for over 2 years and they just came to a head with the gas prices that kept going up. Just thought it was interesting, how soon we forget everything when the coast is clear. We also can forget the good times when times are bad.

9. sweetdawg99

sweetdawg99 Rockstar

i think its safe to say at this point that if/when chevy makes it through the other side of this things will be much much different at GM corporate. I think that they lost touch with their consumer base and just assumed that the customers would just keep showing up. They got lazy and the asian and european automakers capitalized. Now the issue that they face is that it is considered perhaps uncool or not fashionable to own a domestic auto. Add that to the perception that the asian and euro markets produce a superior product in style, performance and reliability and you've got the makings of a 'perfect storm' to take the big 3 down.

Now i think that they have been taking steps in the right direction what with the new malibu etc. but certainly they have a long road ahead of em. I dont pretend to know what they need to do to get ahead other than trying to play catch up. I am sick of the big 3 and GM in particular sitting back and letting the other auto makers try things to see what works best before attempting their own version (i.e. the new camaro coming out now that they see the relative success of the throwback mustang).

The thing that gives me the most hope though is this new Chevy Volt. I don't know how practical or successful it will be but it seems to me GM's first attempt to go on the offensive instead of sitting on the sidelines.

That is all.

/end rant