1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GMT400/800 front clip swap?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Gryphon, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Member

Ok, I'm a bit illiterate on a few things here, but mechanically, I know what I'm doing...pretty much.

Does anyone have an idea of how tough a project it would be to swap an '06 vintage front clip onto my '99 Burb (GMT400)?

I have not been able to get my truck next to an '06, so I haven't even been able to eyeball it.:great:

I would suspect that, worst-case, one would need to graft the 06 sheetmetal into the '99 fenders. I know the lower body line is more V shaped on the newer truck and is a squared U shape on my older one. I ~think~ the transition would not look too bad, and I know it can be massaged to fit better.

Why? 'cuz I just like the scowling look of the newer front end and I am not finding much available aftermarket that I either like the looks of or hasn't been done to death (like Euro tail-lights). As far as an '06, thats's the only year that I know had that front. I have no clue if it was used on any other vintages.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I am sure its more headache then its worth, but you could also do a denali/escalade front swap from the same year and platform as your suburban. You can by the kits at stylintrucks.com and they take all the guess work out of it for you.
  3. Gryphon

Gryphon Member

That's what I was thinking too.

I need to replace my headlights anyway, so maybe I'll just spring for a Rover conversion kit. Not that much more and I've never actually seen one on the road...basically my main goal: something different.
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

To do an 06 front clip would take a lot of metal work, and would be pretty pricey. I do believe there are conversion kits for your style of suburban to put a 02-06 escalade clip on, where they have already done the metalwork for you and you just put the parts on. If cost is a concern though, that is probably not the best option for you. An escalade/denali front always looks good, or you could do the rover style headlights and grille. There is a member on here (I believe it was springthing) that has done it on a suburban of the same era as yours, but I don't remember the exact thread so if you look around you will probably find it.
  5. Gryphon

Gryphon Member

Yes, I've seen his pics. Thats more of what I'll likely do. I'd love to just get mine next to an '06 just to see how it lines up. But yeah, I didn't think it would be a quick easy swap.
  6. Gryphon

Gryphon Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

Thats a nice suburban in those videos. The 03-05 clip he has would be an easy swap on an 800, since the body lines are all the same and everything fits directly. If you really want an 800 front end on yours, like I said earlier there is a kit with everything you need for a 2002-06 escalade clip, which is a pretty classy clip, but that = $$$$, which doesn't get you much farther ahead than having the metalwork done to fit the 06 clip you want, which would also = $$$$.

For a normal budget, I think the range rover style front would be a pretty good choice for something fresh.