GMTC and AskFritz.org Website - A web marketing story

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jul 23, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AskFritz.org – A Web Marketing Success Story[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]here's the story on [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AskFritz.org[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], which I launched two weeks ago. Overall, I find it amusing so I wanted to share it with everyone. Some people got ticked off, but hey - I'm good at Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and I can get a site launched quickly ... so I jumped at an opportunity, who can blame me for that?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]By the way, I am available for web marketing projects should you want to hire me send me a PM – how's that for a shameless plug!?[/FONT]

AskFritz.org does allow people to discuss the future of GM and vent/rant as well, so it's a real site with real people with a real purpose – I think I'll keep it up and running.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Perhaps it's providing a better opportunity to ask the questions that people [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]really[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] want to know about GM's direction, not just quick answers to a few preselected questions.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I encourage all members of GMTruckClub.com to consider going to [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AskFritz.org[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]and joining in on the fun. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You'll need to sign-up, but that's pretty quick and painless.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anyhow, here's the story.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]How it started – Let's Ask Fritz[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Two weeks ago, the morning of Saturday July 11th, I was listening to Ed Wallace's show - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Wheels with Ed Wallace[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] - like I do on most Saturday mornings. During the show, Ed started discussing the press conference held by GM's new CEO Fritz Henderson the previous day. Ed reported that GM was building a website called "[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ask Fritz[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]". I remember Ed actually not liking the idea and wondered if Fritz would be spending his time answering all of these inquiries, which he thought would be a very bad idea as he had better things to do. I thought it sounded like a good idea myself, if it were handled properly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I went to my computer and after a few minutes I discovered [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ed got it wrong[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif],[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]sorry Ed[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. Not just him, but a lot of people got it wrong because the press conference promoted a program called "[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Tell Fritz[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]", but a lot of the stories being reported were talking about "[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ask Fritz[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]". A light bulb went off in my head, which actually doesn't happen all that often, so I knew I was onto something.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I looked to see if AskFritz [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]dot-com [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]was a registered domain name. It was taken, someone grabbed that the night before. So I looked at the [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]dot-org[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] name and yes it was available. So I registered the name, launched the site in maybe three or four hours and employed whatever SEO skills that I think I know. Later that day, AskFritz.org jumped to the top of the search engines and it was getting traffic.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Now, what's wrong with this picture? [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Where do I start? First of all, the tag "Tell Fritz" doesn't have a ring to it at all, it's difficult to remember and it's not the way that we communicate in English. Convention suggest that we often think of something like this as "ask a question” … you certainly don't “tell a question.” So, the phrase itself is slightly unconventional and that's possibly why people seem to remember “Ask Fritz” instead.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Besides that, this program was poorly deployed as it's a sub-section of a different site, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]gmreinvention.com[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], That section didn't even exist when the press conference was held. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That's a huge error in web marketing, NEVER publicize a site before it's ready and live to the world. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Even a flashing icon with a cartoon dude driving a bulldozer around a “Under Construction” banner would have been better than simply not having a site ready at all. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Don't do that either by the way, have your site ready when you announce it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Moreover, now that the site is live, it's not optimized for the search engines. Seriously? Do they not have someone who's got some SEO training at GM? There aren't optimized H1 tags in the body, they have a single “Tell Fritz” in the TITLE tag and one inside a SPAN tag inside a H4 tag. The “Tell Fritz” . Three minutes of attention would bring that site to #1 on the search engines and they wouldn't have to run PPC ads to gain exposure, whatever that's costing them. That's just SEO 101. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Even better, they should have make an AskFritz microsite that drew traffic then somehow rerouted them to the GM re:inventory site. That's how I would have handled it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anyhow, that ends my experiment with launching AskFritz.org. I was interested in knowing how fast I could react to an event like this, and how quickly I could climb in the search engines. Turns out for me it's a couple of hours on a Saturday after listing to Ed Wallace.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Note: I also sort-of launched TellFritz.org, but I didn't do a SEO push at all. It had some success but I think it was pinged as a spam site, which of course it is not.[/FONT]

2. ChevyFan

Update on TellFritz.org

UPDATE:

GM (social media folks) is hacked that I am currently #1 on Google for the term "Ask Fritz" and #2 on Google for the term "Tell Fritz". I guess I should put a link to the GMreinvention website just to be fair. Then again, I'm getting a lot of traffic from the site too.

As a web marketing professional ... please don't throw a high hanging softball to a power hitter like me, I'll take it downtown everytime, bringing 30,000 visitors with me in the process.

:great:

3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You little sneak you..!... it normally takes me over 24hrs to just REGISTER a domain, nevermind have it pointing to the right place and all!

4. ChevyFan

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Steve,

Good job! I can't believe how quick you set that up!