1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GMTC DOWNTIME! Time to upgrade to the newest software!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Jun 4, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok, it's time to upgrade to the newest version of the software. There will be some changes. I have to make certain that I have a full backup of the system - files and database - then I will start the upgrade process.

The company that makes the Garage application does NOT have it complete for the new version, so we will put that on hold (sorry) while we wait for them. Our current license is about to expire, so we really have no choice but to make this move at this time. I do anticipate bumps in the road, but we will get them all straightened out.

if you come to the site and see it down, you should know that is the reason.

Thanks, and keep the comments and suggestions coming in!

-- STEVE --
  2. ChevyFan

Got the database copied over, it's nearly 3 GB, WHA? Well, I should have guessed it I think. That will make conversion take longer as it will change quite a few things in the database.
  3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Whats gonna be the biggest improvement with the new system?
  4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Steve! I hope it all goes smooth!
  5. ChevyFan

Working on it right now, will have quite a bit of downtime when it's all being upgraded, maybe a few errors here and there, hopefully no lost data though.
  6. ChevyFan

Ok, I am prepped to make the move, almost. I have a small list of things to get done before I get to the upgrade.

- Gallery
    - Ads and Ad server system
    - Header links
    - Landing pages
    - Header Graphic.

I'll work the list, then comes the big stuff, like upgrading and getting a good license for everything, then I have to configure the landing pages, etc. Might be more time than I have this morning to work on.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Let me know if you need any help Steve. Good luck!
  8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Thanks for the heads up...
  9. ChevyFan

It's time to start this process all over again. My license is actaully expired, so I need to get upgraded right now actually. I'm going to do another backup and start to move things to the newest version of this software tonight. Hopefully it will take me just a couple of hours to get it all moved over.

- Garages will go down and not come back until that developer upgrades to the new version of vBulletin.
    - The menu system will change a LOT. It will take a few days to get used to, but it will be worth it.
    - All of the landing pages that I use will have to be updated.
    - We'll have to spend some time getting everything formatted just right, making sure that it all works, test it out etc.
    - We'll lose the "today's post" at first, but we can get it back I think in the next week with some code changes.
    - Not sure if I'm forgetting anything.

So, prepare for the site to be down for a couple of hours tonight or tomorrow AM.
  10. ChevyFan

Upgrades are still going on, I have to put up the logos and some other stuff and all of the landing pages are broken. There is a cool new frontpage that is being worked on, but it doesn't look right, so I'll have to keep messing with it.