1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

going to removed truck bed

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by crazyforgms, May 14, 2013.

1. crazyforgms

crazyforgms New Member

what size are the bolts that hold the bed on a 98 k 1500with a six foot bed & how many are there? The reason i removing the bed is to replace the fuel pump
    change the exhaust & replace the rear shocks. Also i am going to clean up the frame rust proof it . Any tips on removing the bed will be helpfull .

thanks
    crazyforgms
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

not sure on the size but im pretty sure gm likes the 6 bolt set up if i remember correctly i think mine is 6 bolts and i doubt it changed from your to mine, if so, im sure someone else will chime in
  3. rocky279

rocky279 New Member

lol, yeah, I'd actually thought of something like that except it's a dually so anything holding the front of the bed from underneath would be in the way of the wheels rolling out.
    Finally broke down, guess I'm going to have to buy a bigger engine hoist, found one big enough to reach over to the middle of the bed from the rear of the truck. Guess I was just trying to find a cheap-skate way out!
    ---------------

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
  4. crazyforgms

crazyforgms New Member

thank there was six i got the bed off know i am cleaning up the fram
  5. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Back in December, my dad and I removed the bed off my 2001 Siverado so I could change the fuel pump. It had six bolts. We used his John Deere tractor to lift the bed once we unbolted it - made things pretty easy. But yea, should be six bolts.
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

Did the same thing with mine! Only my dad wrapped chains through the fender wells with towels for protections mod completely bent in both sides of the bed lol
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yeah, my dad's got several attachments for the front end of the tractor. We put the forks on the front and hooked chains to the tie down loops in each corner of the bed, then looped the chains over the forks and lifted. IMAG0049.jpg