Good Looking Interior Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by zigger215, Feb 1, 2013.

1. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

My truck is the exact same as an avalanche, I'm fully loaded, heated seats etc. did em all. I removed the tint on the buttons and with the cluster I just overlayed an aftermarket gauge cover (Cadillac version). Everything else was a swob and alcohol. Along with some adhesive remover solution.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You did the same with the window controls as well?

3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Yep! Spoiler alert though, the heated seat switches are very shallow, so shallow that even a rivet style LED was too big so I had to drill a hole big enough for the rivet LED and actually attach the LED through the back part of the housing. Next time my door is off I'll take a pic, that particular switch lost its factory look when pulled out...

4. Conlan Rose

Well I wont have to worry about that my 96' doesn't have heated seats.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sounds like a mod you need to do. And [MENTION=21735]pmf608[/MENTION] knows how to do it. :)

6. Conlan Rose

I know I have always kept my eye out when people post about the mod, I'm just worried about pulling my upholstery apart.

7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I was always skeptical too, but I knew that GM just used plastic tabs around the edges and I'd heard velcro on the inside. (The plastic tab always seems to come undone on the front of the passenger seat (3 different styles and fabrics of seats in GMT800 trucks). Anyway, If you were to buy a kit that uses a carbon fibre pad, you can trim it super easily to any shape, and most kits give you 2 stages. If you're cheap like me though, you can get a decent set of used heaters from pretty much any vehicle and set them up for single stage use like I am for the back. I chose to use a Focus because they have single stage heated seats from the factory, so I know the pads won't get uncomfortably hot at full power.

Wow, that ended up being a long post... bottom line though is that it's pretty easy to take the upholstery off and put it back together nicely on these trucks, so I expect mine to be done and functional this weekend (with a temporary switch panel. The custom one to replace the rear radio controls will take some time like the one for my overhead console did.)

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=21735]pmf608[/MENTION],
    Mind PM'ing me some details/thoughts soas to avoid derailing this thread any more than we already have? I'm interested in your thoughts as to how to go about heating the rear bench seat of a NBS extended cab like my own. The fact that the back and the rear bench, itself, are separate pieces means heating the back and bottom of the seat could pose an interesting challenge. I'm also curious what you tapped for power and the amperages involved.

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It would be nice if he did a writeup with pics in a separate thread. That way many could benefit from his mod.

10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This will be my last post on this in this thread, but if I can get my camera to work properly, I will take pictures of the process and do a write-up. I will also mention anyone who has expressed interest in the write-up so that you guys don't miss it. As far as wiring the separate parts, the bottom and back pads are separate, so you would just run wire in split-loom and leave enough slack for the movement of each part. Since the bottom of the Avalanche seat is hinged at the front and folds forward, and the back also folds down, I will have to leave enough slack in the wiring for both parts of each side to fold forward. Anyway, more on that once I get to the write-up