1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good mudding truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by repley81, Jun 27, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. repley81

repley81 New Member

My daughter and I are wanting to invest in a truck we can go play in. Looking for some recommendations on a good, not to expensive, Chevy 4x4. Just basically looking for a toy that we can ruff house in the mud with and isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg when I do break something.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

1973 to 1987 Chevy short or long bed 4x4.

Pros:
    Old enought to still be purchased cheap if you hunt around.
    large fender openings that could acomodate 33" tires without lifting.
    An old truck, want bigger tires real cheap? Just hack t open the fenders more, keeps the CG low but allows up to 40" tires with enough hacking.
    Wanna keep the fenders in one piece but go larger? Spring lifts are much cheaper than any IFS lift.
    84 to 87 had some of the toughest t cases and axles around. Earlier trucks had SM465 gear boxs, slow on the highway but hard to kill off road.
    Small block chevy 350, need I add that its the most popular engine in the world!! Straight 6 engines may lack speed but with their tall deck they have the grunt power to spin big tires real well when geared right.
    I could go on and on with this list.
    Cons:
    They are prone to corrosion above the wheel wells and in the cab corners.
    Frame cracks around the steering mounts are popular if you bolt on bigger tires, there are kits available to fix this.
    As with any old truck steering assemblies get worn and need rebuilding, rubber was predominantly used in bushings at the time of their mfgr, poly is now available and tightens the steering and suspension real well.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 on what tbplus10 said
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

I like the late 90s model 2500hd's.... my son is still driving mine and parts are cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the late 90s model 2500hd's.... my son is still driving mine and parts are cheap.
  5. grampy

grampy New Member 100 Posts

Pretty much agree with everyone - 70's, early 80's. Personal recomendation would be a 3/4 ton to start with. most of them have the "big" 14 bolt rear end - near impossible to break and after market lockers are available and not too expensive + most of those already have 4;10 gears. We have a '79 GMC on the place that has 4:56's ! Also most 3/4 tons will have that tough SM465 manual and I believe the auto's would be the TH400 . Not positive about the auto however. Don't worry too much about some fender rust, almost all of them have it. Besides, like tbplus10 said, a sawsall and a four pound beater can be used to fit some big mud tires !! And a large pair of channel lock pliers helps too - done that !
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Anything older than 87. Comes with a solid front axle and leaf springs up front. Lifting is super cheaper and down here they can be found anywhere in any condition you want. I'm building and 87 k30 into a Rockwell axled bogger. Easy to do compared to new trucks