Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Good news:) bad news:(

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Shorty 71, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

First off let me start by saying this site has been a wealth of knowledge and i couldn't have made my truck look the way it does without your help. The good news is me and my wife have bought a new house.........the bad news is it's about 40min from my job:grrrrrr:. But it's its a great location and it will be a nice place for my kids to grow up. The worst of the bad news is i think i'm going to have to get rid of my truck:( I just can't see pouring all that money in the gas tank with the looonnngggg drive to work. Not sure what i'm going to do yet just wanted to share my situation. What do you guys think, am i being to girlie man?
    lol

2. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I think your truck is way to nice to get rid of man, I drive 55mi one way almost every day on a college salary in a truck that gets 10-11mpg..Good luck with the decision, and congrats on the new house.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sorry to hear the possibility of having to sell your truck, But congrats on the new house.
    Only you know your true financial situation and if commuting with the truck will be affordable, I faced the same situation before and it wasnt fun making the decision to sell something I worked so hard to build.
    Dont know what the wife drives but maybe her commute is shorter and you and her can swap rides during the week, or maybe you can find an inexpensive beater to use for commuting.

4. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Keep it and get something thats cheap, but good on gas like a S10.

5. Pats1pab1

Pats1pab1 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Shorty, you can always ask Steve, if he knows of any good deals on a good used smart car. This way, the money you save on gas can go towards the new house! P.S. your not being a girlie man, it just falls under the "Yes Dear" category. And don't listen to tbplus, I use to let my wife drive my fully loaded 99 ext. cab Z 71 and had to take the keys away, because she thought she could run through and over everything. Luckily the dealership gave me the pay off and we traded it in on the impala after 10 months of use. Sucks on your situation, but trust us, you will regret it in the long run, I did until I bought another one. Good luck!!

6. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

u could always look for a honda or corola for cheap to drive to work. before i joined the marine corps i had a 85 mile round trip daily communte and there was no way i was selling my baby so i drove it to work for a few weeks til i saved the money and bought a civic for $1500 that gets 32mpg. i dont think i could sell my truck for a gas saver

7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If its affordable, get a Corolla. My dad's friend commutes over 100 miles to the plant that he works at and he gets 40-45 easily. He has the cheapest one available, so its also the lightest and he has the manual trans, which is why he gets such good mileage.

8. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Jim, 1st of all, CONGRATS to you and your wife on the new house!!!!!:party: 2nd- keep your truck man!:glasses: (you notice I didn't put girlie) I agree with everyone, get something better on gas if you have to. 3rd- refer to 1 and 2!:lol:

9. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Congrats on the new house and id keep your truck and get you a cheap s-10 or a ford ranger. My dad has a '99 silverado and to save gas and so he wouldnt have to sell his 'rado, he bought an old ford ranger that has over 304,000 miles on it now and still gets about 26 mpg.

10. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

congrats on the house. i say keep your truck. if it's fully paid for, then you should just park that beauty in the driveway and drive it on the w/ends. if you can afford to keep the truck and get a beater, then by all means go that route. but i vote to keep the truck!