1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good Silverado HID Conversion Kits?

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by MS Z71, Jan 6, 2011.

1. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good plug-and-play HID kit that is relatively cheap. I want to install 8000k high and low beams on my '08 Silverado. Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
  2. Patman

Patman Rockstar

Well i would not recommend the 8000K as it is to blus and not as bright as the 6000K. the two bulb system works great if toy have a relay that leaves your low's when you kick the high's on. if you dont have that relay you will be left in the dark while the high warms up. i have made that mistake before with my hid's. also i would spend a little more money on a 55w kit over a 35w kit. lot brighter!!. I have 35w in my silverado and wish i had gone with the 55w. so here is what i recommend... a 55w 6000k high and low hid kit with slim ballast with a relay that leaves the low on when on high. hope this helps... here is a pic of mine with the hid headlights and reverse lights.

IMG00043-20101228-2116.jpg
  3. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Thanks for the info. I was just going to settle for the 35W, but after what you just told me, I think i'll get the 55W kits. I was looking at the kits on http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=1&id=33, and I'm just not sure how highly these are recommended.
  4. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I bought the vvme's and love them. Rotaryenginepete has a post on installing and recommended that site. I bought them in Dec when they were on sale. I'd try to get them on sale if you can. I bought the low with harness and high beams and it cost me $128 with shipping.
  5. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Alright, good deal. It's weird, on VVME, they have a kit for my low beams with the relay harness for ~$58 and the standard kit for $40+$14 to add a relay harness to it. So, I'm thinking about just getting two standard kits, 9005 for the high beam and H8/H11 for the low, and adding the relay harness separately. That alone will save me ~$5 and bring the cost to ~$122 with shipping. I had thought about getting the slim ballast kits, but having to mount external igniters didn't seem that appealing.
  6. Als09Sierra

I actually didn't use the harness. I disconnected my DRLs because the harness wouldn't reach the ballast. I had to install the ballast on the pass. side under the airbox because I have the Volant CAI. You could go without it. I would've considered the slim ballasts if I'd known how little space there is to mount the ballasts.
  7. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Yeah, the passenger side is jam packed. There is a spot just behind the headlight itself by the radiator where the ballasts would fit, but I have a feeling it'll be too hot to install right there.
  8. Als09Sierra

BTW - I put in the 4300k 55W and they are really bright. I expected them to be brighter than stock, but was really surprised.
  9. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

I'm probably going to get the 6000k or 8000k simply because I want to have a little blue tint to it. It there that much of a difference b/t the 35W and 55W in output?
  10. Als09Sierra

Dunno, but Patman stated above he's had both. I do notice that my lights are much brighter than some of the other HID lights I've seen.

Check out my album HIDs.