Good Silverado HID Conversion Kits?

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by MS Z71, Jan 6, 2011.

1. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good plug-and-play HID kit that is relatively cheap. I want to install 8000k high and low beams on my '08 Silverado. Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
  2. Patman

Patman New Member

Well i would not recommend the 8000K as it is to blus and not as bright as the 6000K. the two bulb system works great if toy have a relay that leaves your low's when you kick the high's on. if you dont have that relay you will be left in the dark while the high warms up. i have made that mistake before with my hid's. also i would spend a little more money on a 55w kit over a 35w kit. lot brighter!!. I have 35w in my silverado and wish i had gone with the 55w. so here is what i recommend... a 55w 6000k high and low hid kit with slim ballast with a relay that leaves the low on when on high. hope this helps... here is a pic of mine with the hid headlights and reverse lights.

IMG00043-20101228-2116.jpg
  3. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Thanks for the info. I was just going to settle for the 35W, but after what you just told me, I think i'll get the 55W kits. I was looking at the kits on http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=1&id=33, and I'm just not sure how highly these are recommended.
  4. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

I bought the vvme's and love them. Rotaryenginepete has a post on installing and recommended that site. I bought them in Dec when they were on sale. I'd try to get them on sale if you can. I bought the low with harness and high beams and it cost me $128 with shipping.
  5. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Alright, good deal. It's weird, on VVME, they have a kit for my low beams with the relay harness for ~$58 and the standard kit for $40+$14 to add a relay harness to it. So, I'm thinking about just getting two standard kits, 9005 for the high beam and H8/H11 for the low, and adding the relay harness separately. That alone will save me ~$5 and bring the cost to ~$122 with shipping. I had thought about getting the slim ballast kits, but having to mount external igniters didn't seem that appealing.
  6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

I actually didn't use the harness. I disconnected my DRLs because the harness wouldn't reach the ballast. I had to install the ballast on the pass. side under the airbox because I have the Volant CAI. You could go without it. I would've considered the slim ballasts if I'd known how little space there is to mount the ballasts.
  7. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Yeah, the passenger side is jam packed. There is a spot just behind the headlight itself by the radiator where the ballasts would fit, but I have a feeling it'll be too hot to install right there.
  8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

BTW - I put in the 4300k 55W and they are really bright. I expected them to be brighter than stock, but was really surprised.
  9. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

I'm probably going to get the 6000k or 8000k simply because I want to have a little blue tint to it. It there that much of a difference b/t the 35W and 55W in output?
  10. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Dunno, but Patman stated above he's had both. I do notice that my lights are much brighter than some of the other HID lights I've seen.

Check out my album HIDs.
  11. Patman

Patman New Member

I have only had the 35w but if i had to do it all over again i would go with 55w for sure. the 6000k are very slightly bleu tinted... i have 6000k in my headlights and 8000k in reverse so in the pics you can see the diff, look at my pics on my profile and look at the pic from when the truck was in the shop from behind. thats too blue for me for headlights.
  12. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

I saw a truck with the rose colored lenses today. I don't get that. Patman, how do you install in the tails, is it just your reverse lights? I assume there's ballasts, maybe you got slims? I'll probably do my fogs next.
  13. Patman

Patman New Member

Yeah I only have them in me reverse. installed a upgraded wiring harness and hard wired everything. took a lot of work but is well worth it. yes there is a ballast back there, one on each side. deap down it was a useless upgrade but i can say that i did it. rosed colored? pink?? wtf. never actually seen it, probably not nice.
  14. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Sounds like a lot of work, but I bet they look awesome when you put it in R. You are the only guy I know with that mod.
    Yeah, rose colored. I drove by him pretty quick, but it looked like an older Dodge Dakota.
  15. 04-silverado

04-silverado New Member

I know this is NOT gonna be popular, but here goes:

Modification to HIDs may be illegal in your state. I know that, in VA, a vehicle can be FAILED upon "state inspection" if it is not equipped with OEM lighting which works (has the proper intensity and is correctly aimed) as it was designed to do.

They typically will not question an "off road use" vehicle which has been modified... but it is not supposed to be operated on public streets & highways in VA.

on a related note:

A state inspector recently tried to FAIL a friend of mine... because his amber lights weren't "yellow" enough. My friend asked the inspector to SHOW HIM, in the inspection regs, where it describes "acceptable & required yellowness". The guy couldn't... but still wanted to replace the bulbs. My friend agreed, to replace the bulbs (which were aged & had the amber coating "peeling off")... but insisted that his vehicle be PASSED. The guy argued with him, a bit more... but relented (and passed the truck) when my friend said they needed to place a call for a STATE POLICE cruiser to stop by the service station and mediate the dispute!

P.S.

For those who choose to not click the link which I provided above... here's a different one, which contains one aftermarket vendor's admonition against illegal modifications (using their products), with notes from NHTSA regarding their product:

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HID/x5kit.php
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  16. Patman

Patman New Member

Here in Saakatchewan they regulate it by color I guess. the limit is 6000k but does not matter if its hid or regular bulb. it can be as bright as you want as long as its between 4300-6000k. if the headlight alignement is way out to lunch then they can make you fix that.
  17. MS Z71

MS Z71 New Member

Getting Closer

I've come to this conclusion:

• If i get the 35W kits, I'm getting the 6000k bulbs
    • If i get the 55W kits, I'm getting the 8000k bulbs
    I read that since the higher wattage kits produce brighter light, it will also lighten the shade of blue put out (8000k @ 55W is a slightly lighter blue than 8000k @ 35W). Not sure if this is 100% true/accurate.

Also, I found this other site that sells some HID kits at affordable prices; called DDM Tuning. The link to the kit is http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit. Anyone dealt with them?

Main thing I need to decide is whether to order through DDM Tuning or VVME. I want to go with the more reliable kit, so I'll take any suggestions.

• VVME will cost $135.80 total
    • DDM will cost $94.47 total
    both prices are for two 55W 8000k kits+shipping.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  18. txfire

txfire New Member

So how blue are the 6000 kits? I want a true light but hate the blue tint....would the 4300 be a better choice?
  19. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

I went for the 4300 for that same reason and am very happy I did.
  20. Patman

Patman New Member

do the 4300k have a yellow tint. 35w or 55w??