1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Good Welder?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crakums_GT, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

http://www.minotads.com/getListing.php?tcat=&cat=&p=1&a=359609

Does anybody know if this is a decent welder for some minor welding on my '52 3/4 ton? I'm not looking to do any real major welding, right now I just need it to relocate the pearches on the rear I'll be getting. Any advice? Dont' have much money to spend on tools I will only use a few times.

-Greg

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've never heard of that brand welder before. But if your just gonna use it a little bit here and there then go ahead and get it in my opinion. I personally love Lincoln Welders for Arc welding, and Miller Welders for wire fed welders. Idk, maybe I'm just weird, but thats the way I am.

3. Crakums_GT

Wow that was quick thanks. I am not familiar with welders period. I'm actually going to be taking a class here at the base auto-hobby shop the week after next where the guy there will train me. I found a miller but it was like $800. Can't justify spending that much money lol. Thanks again.

-Greg

4. Mean_Green_95

lol, I'm just can't sleep so I'm on the site. But I've welded plenty of things in the last few years.

I had a 1949 Chevy 3600 with a nova front clip. I used a Lincoln wire fed welder to redo all the welds on the frame just for my own sake, but I ended up selling the truck this past spring.

I used a Miller Cracker Jack box(a very small wire fed welder that ran off of 120 volts) to weld in new floor pans in my friend's '66 Mustang.

I welded some casters onto the gates of my dad's shop to stop the gates from sagging. I used a Lincoln arc welder for that.

I used a Lincoln portable arc welder with a Subaru motor to weld a gate at a local high school and some toe boards at a local Jiffy Lube where I was working.

So I do have some experience, but I'm by far not a professional.

5. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

imho

I would suggest getting a 240V welder... its more bang for the buck and you can use and resell it better.

6. Mean_Green_95

I definitely prefer 220 welders too, but seeing as he is doing this at home, I doubt he has a 220 outlet.

7. L0sts0ul

there is no reason he shouldn't have 240v in his house.

unplug the stove if you have to

8. Crakums_GT

Lol that would be right. The base housing here at Minot AFB doesn't have 220v. aside of up stairs on the second floor. This would get the job done though correct?

-Greg

9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Century is an o.k. welder, not one of the top brands but for light duty welding this particular welder will get the job done. I had an older Century 240 in my shop that we put through a lot of abuse and it kept on ticking.
    If your gonna do body panels and items up to 1/8" a 120 welder will get the job done, anything thicker (like the rear purches) you need 240 to get good weld penetration. A 240 does thin panels easier also.

You should be looking for a welder with gas or the capability to add gas, this one doesnt say if it has gas or it can be added.
    For panels gas keeps the weld clean and slag off the panels, for structural/load or stress bearing items it produces a stronger uncontaminated weld. Keeping the weld clean and slag off is very important as this is where you normally find corrosion or defects within a few years.

Having lived in base housing a time or two I'm not sure how much welding or tear down on your truck your gonna be able to do at the house. My guess being that the Air Force was always more anal retentive than any other service, very little.
    And the Auto Hobby shop usually discourages welding on the premises.
    If you've only got one or two projects to be welded you might be better off getting in contact with a local mobil welder and having them do this job. Then save your money for a better welder when you have a home of your own.

10. L0sts0ul

there are a lot of ways to get 240 out of your house. If you need more help just ask, but I agree with tbplus, you should get a 240 if you can... its more useful in the long run, and believe me... you NEED to make sure your welds hold... 240 is a better bet if you can afford it.