Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tire - The Secret Tire

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by countryboy73703, Jul 27, 2009.

1. countryboy73703

countryboy73703 New Member

Allright, so I'm looking for tires, and I was just browsing and I found a pretty good lookin' A/T at walmart, however they are the only place that carries it, even looked online for it, so I was just wondering if anybody has used it, and any opinions on it it's the good year wrangler authority.... let me know.. thanks

Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  2. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

Never heard of it........
  3. 04SilverChevy

04SilverChevy New Member

x2............
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

It's a house brand made for WalMart by Goodyear. Wal-Mart buys trainloads of them and gets a huge price break. The reason why they do this is so dealers won't buy tires from WalMart and resell them.
    I have a Ruger 10/22 rifle that I bought from Wal-Mart back in the 80s. Come to find out this particular rifle was only sold by WalMart. Again the reason is to pass the savings along to the consumer rather than dealers who will mark them up and make a profit at your expense.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

Never a huge fan of Goodyear tires. I just put a set of BFG ATs on the 97. No substitute in my opinion. This is my third set, first on this truck. Probably will never buy anything else, except dedicated snows.
  6. kgibson181

kgibson181 New Member

I've seen them as well at walmart and they look very aggressive but never had any performance experiences with them.
  7. brayden282

brayden282 New Member

goodyear wrangler authorities

I just had four of these put on my 98 1500 and they seem to be excellent tires with a really agressive look to them. I got four 31x10.50r15 and the total with the road hazard and lifetime balance/rotation was $598 before tax.
  8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member

walmart tires are junk goodyear should never put their name on that tire
  9. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 New Member

I too have also heard that walmart tires are a lesser tire than ones sold at dealers. Don't know if it's true or not just what i've heard. Sure are cheap though.
  10. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

are these the tires your talking about?only pic i could find

[​IMG]
  11. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member

I work in the tire dept. at a local Sam's Club. In my personal opinion, stay away from any Goodyear Wranglers. They always seem to wear in a retarded manner. If u want a good tire, go with the BFG TKO(the all terrain). U might even try their BFG mud terrains, they look pretty sic, but I've never installed them...
  12. brayden282

brayden282 New Member

I agree with you on most of their tires but these seem to be really good tires. Guess I will find out in the long run....
  13. gejohn

gejohn New Member

What did you find out about these tires? I am thinking about buying them. I want traction (Denver) but not excessive noise (2004 Tahoe Z71)
    I am little concerned on the highway they are going to make a lot of noise with their aggressive tread 18/32. Did you buy them or know of anybody has and what would their feedback be?
  14. 1slols1

1slols1 New Member

just make sure you keep your receipt if you have any probs with them tires you will have to go to walmart the goodyear places will not honor the mileage warranty beacuse as far as they are concerned they are not REAL goodyears, they are just made for wal-mart. I used to work in the tire and lube express in a wal-mart and i also work for a city transportation dept. at the city we use goodyears for all our cars and trucks and OUR goodyear rep told us about the wal-mart tires.
  15. ResOps

ResOps New Member

Tires from the same manufacturer vary....alot!... As a young'un I worked for General Tire for 8 yrs building tires. Anyone in Canada who bought tires from Canadian Tire were buying Generals as we made them.
    The tires made for a certain company(ie Walmart) are made exactly according to what they want.Could be high-end could be low end(in Walmarts case I'm sure the manufacturing cost was an issue therefore lower end hard rubber).
    It's all about the different compounds for the rubber, the different belt material (kevlar,steel polyester)and the mold(tread pattern).
    The softer the tread compound the smoother the ride but also the quicker the wear. I haven't seen these tires in our Walmarts up here but I have seen some cheap passenger tires and you have to remember - you get what you pay for. If you get a good guarantee then you're fine.
  16. countryboy73703

countryboy73703 New Member

I tried them

alright here's the deal, I went ahead and got them about a month and a half ago or so, road noise isn't too bad, they actually kinda have like a deep whistle, but doesn't get too loud till you start going over 65ish, and then ofcoarse it keeps getting louder, I did get the road hazard warenty and mount and balance and all that stuff, i think total came out to around 650 or 700 can't really remember, traction is pretty good, I'm impressed not going to have a chance to try them in snow until I go home in december, however, I do know that they work very well in mud, not sure about sand YET, haven't had time to drive to the outer banks yet, but i will try and post when I do try them in the sand, overall for price, I'm satisfied with the low road noise, and good traction, I got the 275/75's if you don't have a whole lot of money to spend, then I would recomend them, I'm happy with them, and so far no problems and I've put about 3 thousand miles on them

sorry feed back took so long, been busy with work, and working on sandy (truck)
  17. unplugged

unplugged New Member

Coming from a guy who has been so broke at one time that none of the tires matched on my car, I'm not about to bash Wal-Mart tire offerings. I can afford to spend a little more and today all four corners have the same tire.

I like and use BFG's and Goodyear. On my work truck I'm currently running the Wrangler RTM with kevlar. At $1400 for a set of five, not everyone can afford them I'm glad my boss thinks I'm worth it.

For my burb I am running a set of factory take offs that I bought on craigslist. I paid less than $400 for four tires with alloy wheels. They still had the 'nubs' on them. Next time out I'll probably buy the same, but it sounds like I'd at least consider taking a look at the Wal-Mart Goodyears if I'm in the mood for store bought tires.

If you're not into a specialty tire and factory rubber is ok with you....check out craigslist for a deal on a set of take offs. Nothing wrong with store bought tires so if you need a more aggressive tread or better wet weather traction take a look at BFG's and Wranglers you really can't go wrong with either.

If you get off in the rough stuff. Sidewall strength counts:
    [​IMG]
  18. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Good looking shot! :)
  19. Mspicer

Mspicer New Member

Just bought 4

I Bought 4 265/75/16 10 ply Wrangler Authorty's on my 94 Burban. After 2000 miles they still look new. No chipping or wierd wear patterns. ride straight and true. I couldn't pass up the price. The 6 ply were 160 a piece and the 10 ply were 165. Only five bucks more. I took them out to the beach and they were awesome. I was really impressed with the quality. Ive had BFG A/T's and Wild country TXR's. These Wrangler's ctually compete. Too soon to say there better than the others but I'm on the verge of declaring my love for them. Go and get em.
  20. shaggyiroc

shaggyiroc New Member

my boss put them on his 05 silverado 2500. size 265/75r16 load e the side wall feels pretty spongy for an e load tire and when any of the trailers he has hooked up hold on for a wild ride. bumps and little corrections in the sterring wheel make the back end wander all over the road and that at 35-40 mph. you dont drive the speed limit or you'll be in the ditch.as for wear he hasn't had them long enough but i can only imagine what it going to be.