1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Google Phone Calling - Awesome!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Aug 27, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I just saw the new Google Call Phone feature in Gmail and I decided to try it out. WOW! I was able to install it in just a minute or two, then made a phone call to my cell phone for free. The phone picked up on my speakers and my mic worked great so it was a real two-way, full duplex phone call.

Very impressive. Anyone else try it yet?

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Here's a good article in the washington (com)post about the technology that is inside of gmail.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/27/AR2010082702107.html
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I haven't used the call phone feature, but I do use google voice. Google Voice rocks! I'm hoping Google introduces voip calling soon.
  3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I haven't tried Google phone, but we have Ooma VOIP. It's the same setup that cable or Verizon charges you for, but only costs you $250 for the hub. No monthly bills. :)
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You should put up a link.. is that something that has its own phone number etc etc?? Because i would like to have a home phone again.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

It's free outbound telephone calls from your computer to any phone number in the US and Canada. So you can call anyone from your computer and talk to them like you're on a speakerphone.

It's part of GMAIL.
  6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mike,

If you're interested in Ooma, its www.ooma.com. You get a number and you plug in any corded or cordless phone like you would with cable or Verizon. As long as you have Internet, you have phone service. The drawback, from reviews I've read, is that the tech support isn't great, but the install was very simple. The real question is, how long until home phone service is free from all providers.