1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

got a couple questions/ asking your thoughts on a new mod

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by barefoot greg, Jan 30, 2013.

1. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

Here's a photo i found on the net of something similar to what i was thinging about building
    custom center console.jpg

@ aloxdaddy99

"hillbilly up the truck" lol no worries on the terminology, its hard to describe what you're trying to say sometimes, however, The look for my truck im tryin to go for is High, Wide, & Prominant.
    I think the antenna's scraping of heavens floor joists will do a good job to help illusttrate this look.

The other day i did a couple quick sketches of basically a near finished product of my truck, If i wasnt crammed for time at the moment i'd upload them rite now,

sorry for the cliff hanger but looks like you're all just gonna have to wait until my lunch break haha

P.S. I am by no means going to be the guy repainting the sisteen chapel so if you get what i'm saying try to take the photos with a grain of salt. They were sketched up in about a half hour while i was in the back seat of my buddy's jeep on the way to a Phish show in a snow storm. lol
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I like the concept of this center console. I don't understand why the person that made this one didn't flush mount the CB. The other thing I would have done is cover it in vinyl or leather to match the rest of the interior. Those aircraft switches are sweet looking also.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Too unrefined and busy for my own taste. Too 'hillbilly' ... to use aloxdaddy99's previous word selection ... as it just looks slapped in there, matches nothing, isn't flush, has cables hanging all over the pace, and all of the REALLY EFFING BIG switches make it the country equivalent of 'ricer' (hence 'hillbilly').
  4. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

here are the sketches of the truck i promised, sorry for the wait, Scanners and I do not get along!
    View attachment 48884
    [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] : How's that for "Hillbilly"?! haha

@SurrealOne : About the photo of the center console, ohh i agree it does look quite gawdy

if i were to do something like this, it'd be at most 12x12x12", general size referance, it will actually be smaller due to the way i want the face of it angled downwards from the dash to my cup holders, i'd mount the the switches on top, then the guages then the cb the lowest for 2 reasons.

1) By having the CB lower than the others the Mic. cord wouldnt be hangin down over the switches and guages.

2) by having the guages between the cb and the switches there would be space to easily use both with out getting crammed.

I would build it out of wood, and either carpet it with something thin or cover it in bed liner which will match my truck exterior once i finish my ext. mods.

Being a residential contractor when I'm not working at the Port, I could easily fab up a box and have it turn out halfway decent. I'm not deadset on mounting it in this fashion this is just what i'm the most familiar with.

I would prefer to mount the cb in the dash just underneath the cd player like in this photo:
    View attachment 48885

or in the over head like Surreal had suggested, this would deffinately be the cleanest neatest install but would require more wrestling of wires in and around objects. Not that I'm scared or worried about this, I installed my head unit for my steereo no ploblem.

The guages I'll prolly mount along the a pillar with a guage pod, and the switches I'd like to mount in the dash in the square the passenger airbag shutoff is mounted. One to the left, and 2 above

This photo shows where I'd like to mount the switches.
    View attachment 48886

- - - Updated - - -

AGHHH! the photo i scanned wont appear! Ill try again but no guarentees this time.
    sketch 001.jpg