Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Got a Dashcam? What type & how do you like it?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ChevyFan, Apr 9, 2013.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

One of my biggest gripes about these dedicated dash cams and the IP/ Wifi home surveillance camera's (GoPro included) which is odd, is that their firmware/ Operating System's don't support "exFAT" which allows them to support Micro SDXCHC cards from 64gb - 2TB).

And their "low light and "refresh rate" capabilities. For a moving vehicle, you would want at least a 240hz refresh rate for motion.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I suspect we'll see larger micro SDXCHC support in the next year. Low light and refresh rate improvements will probably be incremental, since what's there is absolutely adequate from a security surveillance point of view (and far better than many existing security CCTV systems).

3. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Recording frame rates probably won't get any higher than 60 FPS. Unless you're trying to record mosquitos hitting the windshield, it's also not that useful. Even multi-million dollar ultra high def movies recorded in 4K with $50,000 cameras are only recording at like 40-48 FPS max, and then get downsampled to 24-30 FPS for theaters/dvd/bluray/whatever.

There isn't really any market for recording bullet time in dash cams, so anything that does record that fast will be extremely rare, and quite expensive, if it ever does come out.

4. SurrealOne

I agree that we probably won't see higher FRAME rates than 60fps -- and that it'd be largely wasted if we did. However, do note that I didn't mention the frame rate.

PantherUncia mentioned the refresh rate, not the frame rate ... as did I. I believe PantherUncia was referring to the screen refresh rate on those cameras that have screens/monitors. I base this on the 240hz commentary he made.

There's also the sensor refresh rate ... which is the sampling rate of the sudden motion sensor.

5. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

It wasn't clear what exactly he meant by refresh rate, and a search for "refresh rate" relating to dash cams was all about the recording of frames, from what I saw in the search results. But I doubt you'll see higher than 60 Hz refresh rates in the LCD panels for those that have them, either. The 120/240 Hz refresh rate nonsense that gets marketed on LCD TVs is just that, nonsense. It's some software processing to smooth the picture, and make some educated guesses about where things on the screen will be in the next several frames, and fakes it, displaying something that isn't quite there yet, where it will likely be. This is why it makes scrolling text look a bit better, but heavy action sequences in movies and such, can look quite horrible with it. The LCD panel side you actually see the light come from is still actually only refreshing at ~60 Hz.

Were you also talking about this, or the sensor refresh rate?

6. SurrealOne

I left it generic so that it would apply to both.

I don't like dash cams with displays -- because to me it makes no sense to have the added bulk (which draws attention to the cam) to see an image of something you can look right out the window and see, yourself. As long as you can stream data off the cam or simply pop a chip out to snag the video, I'm happy. Thus, the only refresh rate that I personally care about is the sensor refresh rate.

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I really need a dashcam!