1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Got an issue with my '92 K1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by silverlion, Oct 19, 2010.

1. silverlion

silverlion New Member

My speedometer reads 20-30 MPH fast. I was thinking speed sensor, but don't they just go out causing the speedo to not read at all?
  2. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts

Have you had any transmission work done recently?
    Are the tires stock size?
    Is the speedo cable properly seated in the tranny tail section?
    Do you have a modified PCM chip?
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

For a 92 Suburban, you might still have a DRAC unit. Unless someone messed with the jumpers in it, that shouldn't be the issue. I would also lean towards a tire size change or regearing. There is a possibility that there's some metal filings or other junk by the VSS sensor, but the odds of that are probably pretty low.
  4. silverlion

silverlion New Member

The tranny was rebuilt. Tires are stock, gears are stock. I'll check the cable. It's 4WD if that helps.
  5. silverlion

silverlion New Member

Guess it's time to throw parts at it. I refuse to go to the stealership. At least I'll have a bunch on new parts on it. LOL
  6. silverlion

silverlion New Member

Just decided to not worry about it. I did notice that on occasion the speedo jumps when I turn on the blinker.