Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Got Fuel, Got Spark, Got No Start

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by xJohnDoe001x, Nov 20, 2013.

1. xJohnDoe001x

xJohnDoe001x New Member

Friends, I drove my truck one day and the next it won't start, well it did for a couple of seconds but after a few tries it won't start at all.
    Could a disabled Viper alarm connected to the ignition system cause this? I lost the fob so I pulled the fuse so I could drive the truck.

There is fuel and spark, I recently installed new distributor, ignition coil, plug and wires, ESC & knock, TPS, IAC, MAP, EGR & EGR solenoid valve. A problem I was having was high idle speed.

I almost feel like I had this problem before on this truck and it was something simple. My mind isn't what it used to be, I'm old and worn out.

2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

year, model, engine?

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes, the alarm system could cause an issue. If it had remote start it is even more likely. It sounds like the security system is stopping spark after the initial start up.

4. xJohnDoe001x

xJohnDoe001x New Member

Yes, sorry.
    I have a '90 GMC Sierra C1500 with a ('91) 5.7 TBI

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, tell me how you know you have: "Got Fuel, Got Spark, Got No Start". Because, if you have fuel and air (in the correct ratio) and spark (at the correct time), it will start.

Please detail your testing for the above.

6. xJohnDoe001x

xJohnDoe001x New Member

I know I have fuel because I put my finger down the TBI throat just above the throttle valve and got gas on my finger (and I primed it) as for spark I pulled a plug wire, extended it into cab with some wire and held the striped end of the wire a quarter inch away from a screw on the body an cranked it and got spark.

Yeah, I felt the same, fuel and spark should get some kind of starting, even if badly and I did have a few seconds of run time the first time I tried. Today I pulled the break booster hose and it still had vacuum from a few days ago so I put it back. I Pulled and plugged the remaining hoses and tried to start the engine, no joy.

Please have patience with me, my mind is slow for I have some issues, my issues have issues.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would consider borrowing a fuel pressure gauge from a auto parts store (free rental at most places) and see what your fuel pressure is. Just because there is fuel present in the TBI does not mean that there is enough fuel being delivered. I would not recommend it, but you could always try spraying starting fluid into the tbi and see if it runs for a few seconds on that.

8. 97Silveradbeast

97Silveradbeast New Member

I just went thou the same thing with my 97 Silverado. I changed the fuel pump and the sending unit gave it a tune up changed the ICM and coil no change I took my alternator and got It tested and now it starts with out any problems. So have your alternator tested. I took it to 2 places 1 said it was good other said it was bad so changed it.

9. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Just a little aside, you might have had a bad altenator, which caused the battery to be dead; thus, not having sufficient power to crank the engine, therefore no start. In "Joh's" case, the engine will crank. I think he is right, there is a problem with the fuel, or the spark.

My friend, I have a ton of patience, don't take my questions as a criticism, I'm only trying to help. So, let's see what we can do to fix this.

Let's try to narrow this down, A good way to do a quick test for fuel is to spray a little ether (starting fluid) into the throttle body. If it starts and runs for a couple of seconds, you have a fuel delivery problem. Then we need to test the relay, the pump and the filter.

10. xJohnDoe001x

xJohnDoe001x New Member

I forgot to mention the new fuel tank, pump, filter and strainer. I understand that that doesn't mean the pump isn't bad and OH! When I said I primed it I meant I poured a bit of gas down the TBI throat. Although I seem to have strong cranking I did though have an alternator problem, it made a bit of noise and had a charge of about sixteen volts or more according to the dash gauge, I hadn't yet test voltage with a VOM. I had planned on replacing it in order, cash flow woes limits my spending.

I think I'll go sell a kidney.. .. .or kid and buy an alternator (son, these are your parents now, sorry kid the PS4 stays here you can take the Wii)