Got in a discussion with an F150 person about tow ratings.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Dec 12, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Got into a discussion with a Ford guy about F150 towing ratings.

He swore up and down that ALL F150s can tow 11,300lbs. I told him that only if properly equipped with the right gears, transmission, cooler, etc.

He did not was to hear any of it. I think he watches too many commercials about Ford pimping that the F150 can tow 11,300lbs. Some people are such dolts that they will try to town that much with an improperly equipped truck.

Ford perpetuates this BS in their commercials and it gets irritating.
  2. PearlWhiteLTZ

PearlWhiteLTZ New Member

pssshhhhh, I'm selling my Chevy for a Tundra so I can go work for NASA and tow space shuttles around..
  3. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

^ that right there....hilarious!
  4. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member 100 Posts

Yes you are right [MENTION=57614]stchman[/MENTION] you need the right packages, gears, and what ever else you said to be able to do pull that much weight. That applies to any brand of pickup/SUV.

- - - Updated - - -

And with the lower gear ratios you can pull more, because you have more low end torque. So if you have a vehicle with low gear ratios you should only be using it for pulling and hauling. I think.
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This imbecile thought differently.
  6. 1953bowtieguy

The only reason i can think of why he thought differently is because he is a ford man. Ford guys, GM guys and dodge guys all think differently.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yea, but of the three of them only GM guys tend to think logically...
  8. 1953bowtieguy

True, true, true. Maybe thats another reason why we have gm vehicles, is because they are the most logical vehicle out there?
  9. 2k8z71

2k8z71 New Member 100 Posts

That guy probably can't read the "fine print" at the bottom off the screen. I am almost 100% sure that it says *when properly equipped.
  10. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member 100 Posts

interesting that nobody mentioned brakes. TMK, all F150's have the same brake package. So, this guy says it is okay to tow something that weighs 2.25 times as much as the tow vehicle, and expect the stock brakes to stop him coming up to a light at the bottom of a hill???? I can just see the look on this guys face as that big ass trailer is pushing him through the red light.....