1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Got the 97 Sub SLT fixed...strange

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chargerrich, Feb 28, 2008.

1. chargerrich

chargerrich New Member

Ok so I posted earlier that my 97 Sub would not start and was producing a "heavy crank". Turns out the Cats went out and apparently literallly melted the O2 sensors.

So I replaced the O2s (both) and also went with a magnaflow Cat forward instead of an OEM. This provided me better low end and was actually cheaper. My real question however is WTH caused the O2s to melt? I am running a hypertech (have it stock now) but other than that I cannot figure out what would cause this.

Any ideas?
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pre cat or post cat O2's or all 4 that melted?

I've heard of many cases where there is a lot of excess fuel in the exhaust that causes cats to literally glow red from the heat. Excess fuel also plugs cats up. So I expect that they just got that hot as they plugged up.

Any sign of the engine running rich now, or signs of excess fuel in the exhaust stream?