1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

GPS GPS Reviews | Best GPS Units for your Truck

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ChevyFan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Since my last GPS got lifted out of my Trailblazer, I need to get a new one. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have the GM version in my truck, which works fine. I find that for local backroads travel the directions aren't helpful, but the map helps me find through-roads. Great for road trips though and better than trying to read the printed directions from Google Maps while driving.

My wife got a free Garmin Nuvi when she leased her current car. It works nice, has a permanent mount on the dash (strangely, it's mounted by the dealer in the center speaker), and is easily portable for travelling. I like that we can bring it with us if we fly somewhere and need to rent a car.

3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just got the Garminfone from T-mobile less than a month ago. It is basically a Garmin Nuvi with phone capabilities. I love the thing. Much better on the bank, gps capabilities, and asthetics than my iphone. Plus the Droid market is so much more user friendly than the itunes store.

4. Ronny

Ronny Rockstar

I have a Garmin NĂ¼vi 660 FM Black, and have had it a couple of years, very happy about it actually.
    Easy to use, pretty accurate and free chart software updates among others. Bought a lifetime uograde on charts and can now update my charts free, I think it was 3 or 4 times a year.

It also have memory card for storage of for instance mp3 files, pictures, videos and so on. It has a FM sender so you can listen to your mp3`s through your stereo. Also such things as e-books, travelguides etc. And offcourse POI support, so you can download, or make your own POI files (waypoints) for instance for speed cameras, your favourite truck shop or similar.
    All in all very happy with it.

Only thing is that I sort of can`t find a suitable place to integrate it in my 03 suburban, so for the moment it is placed on the dash.
    Oh....it also have FM receiver for those traffic messages, delays, re routing and such.

Also it has support for many phones through bluetooth, on my sony ericsson Xperia X1 it brings up my contacts, messages, call log etc. When the phone is connected you here the caller through the cars speakers or internally by own choice, it also has a microphone you can plug in....or not plug in, works anyhow.
    LOL....soon easier for you to download the spec from Garmin, hehe.,. Good luck !

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

GPS FM transmitter to radio? How well does that work?

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow do i feel out of date.. I dont even own a GPS, and i just got the hang of the one in the wrecker that i was driving, and now you are all talking about radio transmitters etc.. Talk about fancy.. I do need one however so i appreciate the thread.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Do you want in dash or portable? In Dash Kenwood all the way.... Hands down... Portable... Stay with the top 3.. Garmin,Tom Tom or Magellan.....

8. Topdogdad1

Topdogdad1 New Member

i'd have to disagree with the in dash kenwood being #1. i'm a pioneer head unit believer, pioneer may not be very good at other things such as a speaker or amp, but in the mobile audio world they are definitely top of the list for head units and quality... i still have my Pioneer AVIC-D3 indash nav/dvd that i bought brand new 8 years ago and has been in 6 diff. cars lol and is now in my silverado. Some custom work to install, but thats what i used to do so i made it work out nice.

9. Ronny

Ronny Rockstar

Yeah, FM transmitter works great.
    It also has a autoseek function, it scans the FM frequencies and gives you suggestions to try on the radio, then it is just to choose the one with the less interference.
    Transfer your favourite music to the memory card and rock and roll.:glasses:

10. ChevyFan

We got another Garmin Nuvi with FM traffic antenna. Love it to death!

Garmin 1350T with lifetime updates and live traffic communication.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011