Grease Fittings

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by davedyno, Apr 7, 2012.

1. davedyno

davedyno New Member

On a 2011 Silverado 4X4 1500 How many Grease Fittings.
    Thanks
    Dave
  2. davedyno

davedyno New Member

I found them guys, only 2 fittings on tie rod ends at the wheels, also I noticed no drain plug on the rear like my 02 Silverado had. Just a fill plug. The Trans pan looks easy to remove when the time comes. All in all maintenance looks a little better then my 2002 Silverado 4X4
    Dave
    2011 Silverado Ext. 4X4
    Leer hard body tonneau cover
    Z71 Appearance Pkg. 18" Wheels
    Rancho shocks
  3. ippielb

ippielb New Member

There's a bunch, top ball joint, lower ball joint, outer tie rod, inner tie rod, pitman arm, idler arm, kingpin, u joints, if you're intermittent steering shaft has one. and then any other extra's you've installed.
  4. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member

No grease fitting on is shaft, need a new one, clunks are annoying lol
  5. davedyno

davedyno New Member

ippielb, On my 2002 Silverado Ext 4X4 I greased something like 10 or 11 fittings every year for 9 years and the front suspension on my new 2011 silverado
    is not the same, GM made a major change at some point. I will get a Haynes or factory manual.
    Dave
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

So there's only 2 grease fitting on our whole truck it's time for mine to get a few pumps. I've been thinking bout doing that steering shaft grease fitting trick
  7. davedyno

davedyno New Member

Only 2 Grease fittings

Thanks, I know I find it's hard to believe, but it is only 2. One on each tie rod end.
    Dave
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

It's well worth it. I shared that trick with a friend of mine who is a mechanic while discussing steering wheel moan with him ... and he thought it was brilliantly simple/easy/effective.
  9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

Yea I'm not really having an issue with my steering but I feel like it may prevent anything and maybe improve my steering
  10. steved

steved Former Member

I found nine fittings on my 2012 2500HD (4wd)...upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler, and its idler arm. There are no fittings on either of the drive shafts.
  11. davedyno

davedyno New Member

Grease fittings on the 2011 1500

That's correct for the 2500, on my 2002 4x4 1500 grease fittings was the same as the 2500. On the new 4x4 1500 the only fittings are the tie rod ends. The front suspension is different. Rack and piƱion steering.

Dave