1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Greasing rear u-joint

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by blackburb, Sep 16, 2012.

1. blackburb

blackburb Member

My 94 1/2 ton has a greaseable u-joint on the back end of the driveshaft. It was put in when I had the trans rebuilt last summer - by the shop, without prior notice. Is there any way to grease this without dropping the driveshaft? Is there a smaller grease gun tip available that still fits a standard zerk? There's no way a regular grease gun tip will fit without taking the shaft out of the pinion yoke.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Look at you favorite parts store for a grease gun tip accessory pack, I use a needle tip to get the U-Joint on one of my trucks because theres no clearance, not as clean a job as normal but it gets everything lubed.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I'm not sure if you've tried it, but try chocking the truck and putting one rear tire in the air. Then put the transmission in neutral so you can rotate the driveshaft. More clearance may be able to be obtained because the angles on the u-joint change as the driveshaft rotates.
  4. blackburb

blackburb Member

I have tried that, but the angle doesn't change enough to make a difference. I will seek out some new tips for my grease gun this week. Thanks!
  5. bazar01

bazar01 Member

I have greased my aftermarket rear u-joint by driving the rear up the ramp, putting the transmission in neutral, and spinning the drive shaft and finding the biggest clearance for the grease gun tip to fit the grease fitting. I did both the rear and the front. The front was more difficult. The grease gun barely fits but i found a sweet spot and was able to get the grease in.