1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Greasing the chassis

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Big_Ben, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

Ok, for a while I just took my truck to have the oil changed at a shop due to it being cheaper. For over a year now I've been doing it myself, but since I haven't had a grease gun I would just wait till it was in the shop for something I couldn't handle fixing on my own and ask them to grease it for me.

So I bought a grease gun and some grease and I know there are 11 fittings in total on my truck. I'm wondering how much grease is enough? I had a mechanic complain to me in the summer that whoever greased it last time put way too much grease in, made a huge mess "and now you're contaminating" were his exact words. He was bitching at me as if I was the one who did this to his truck. He said 2-3 pumps and you're fine just do it every oil change.

So now, each grease gun will pump out different amounts per 10 strokes etc. so is it a safe rule to just pump it 3 times on each fitting? Also I just bought some automotive chassis grease that says it meets or exeeds OEM specs. To me grease seems like a product that you really can't go wrong with (i.e. "Grease is grease, just buy some and use it, don't worry about brand") am I correct here?

I feel very strange asking about this as it's very basic maintenance and I've done some more advanced stuff, yet have never done this!

Thanks guys
  2. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord New Member

Should be fine with #2 grease...it's general purpose; and from what I've learned, 2 pumps from a regular-sized grease gun is the standard amount.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I run with 2-3 pumps. Occasionally i have run a little low and put a bit more in. And the U-joints if yours are greasable i would put in enough so that you see a bit coming out. But tie rods/ball joints etc. 2-3 is enough.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

This is a little off-topic, but still somewhat applicable. For NEW ball joints and u-joints, how many pumps should you put in? From what I've learned in the past, pumping grease into ball joints until you can see it is way too much, but I've also learned that new ball joints come virtually dry from the factory.
  5. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Ben, grease grades are numbered from 1 to 5 ? I think. As far as how many pumps, follow Murdogs advice on the U-joints, & for ball joints pump it & watch the rubber boots. When you see the boots expanding this is grease that has gone into & through the joint so it is enough pumps. I think what your mech was complaining about is the previous mech had continued pumping till it actually pumped grease out of the boots & all over the chassis & the grease will collect dirt, grime, sand etc thus contaminating the chassis by "holding" all this crud to it.
  6. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

Ah ok thanks for tips! And yes, it was coming out of the boots and was everywhere, I saw it before it was in the shop and thought it was odd, but didn't think it was a big deal. Good to know! Time to get greasing!
  7. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I ususally fill them till the boots are semi tight.
  8. auzivision

auzivision New Member

I used to rely on others to lube my chassis until I discovered this :shocked: :

[​IMG]

There is a grease fitting hiding in there that probably hasn’t been touched for years!
  9. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Yep, that's the sign of lazy mechanics or Quick Lube places that don't realize that the upper ball joints have zerk fittings on them lol