1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

great debate!!! carb vs. tbi

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 87_k20, Apr 4, 2014.

1. 87_k20

87_k20 New Member

ive got an 87 k20 350tbi with a bigger cam and headers. and I cant really make up my mind on if I wanna keep it tbi or not. I know carbs better and adjusting and fixing them is easier with me then having a tune made and sensors going crazy. but then again I love the fuel injection and how easily it starts and no dealing with choke. if only efi wasn't so ****ing expensive. anyone else got any pros or cons.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

With TBI, you start and go, the computer takes care of the cold engine requirements; and when hot, the TBI offers far better gas economy. Not to be forgotten, the improved efficiency provides increased horse power.

I've driven many, many miles with carbureted engines and many, many miles with injection (one type, or an other) and I would never go back to a carb.
  3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I like both. Computers can be made for the TBI to handle larger cams and head work and what not. And the TBI also provides better throttle response. Being that your truck is 4wd I imagine you will want to play now me then. In that instance the TBI is also better because you can practically roll it over and not loose fuel unlike a carb
  4. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

Burban man is right, and if you do go off road, you wont suffer from "sloshing" of the fuel! Fuel sloshing around in the float bowl and stalling you out at a critical moment, sucks big time!
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

with the fuel used today a carb offers poor performance in many areas when compared to fuel injection.

carb would be the cheaper way to go to set up, but in the long run cost more in operating costs.

To go back to carb would be like going back to ignition points.. high failure and low performance.