1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Great diagram of Wheel Backspacing and Other Measurements

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bry2500, Feb 24, 2009.

1. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Wheel Backspacing and Offset

Before mounting a set of aftermarket wheels, there are some dynamics involved with fitment that are best to understand first.
    1. Wheel Diameter. This is the diameter of the wheel. Stock wheels are commonly 15 or 16 inch diameter. This dimension is usually in 1 increments (i.e. 15, 16, 17) but some manufacturers offer 16.5, which is rare.
    2. Wheel Width. This is the width of the wheel, measured inside the outer lip of the wheel. This dimension is usually in 1/2 increments (i.e. 7.5, 8)
    3. Wheel Center. This is the center of the wheel in relation to the width.
    4. Offset. The distance from the centerline of the wheel to the face of the mounting surface of the wheel that contacts the hub.​
    4.1 Zero Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is at the wheel center.
    4.2. Negative Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is behind (or inboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on standard rear-wheel-drive vehicles and on so-called reversed rims. (Diagram below shows negative offset)
    4.3 Positive Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is in front of (or outboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on front-wheel-drive vehicles. Stock Tacoma wheels have Positive offset.​
    5. Backspacing. The distance from the mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel. This measurement is closely related to offset (without actually measuring, backspacing is about equal to [Wheel Width / 2] + [Offset] + [about 1/4] ).
    6. Centerbore. The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the machined hole on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of the car. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned, minimizing the chance of a vibration. This measurement may be critical to clear the hubs of a 4WD.
    7. Bolt Circle. Also known as PCD (Pattern Circle Diameter). The bolt circle represents the diameter of an imaginary circle that goes through the center of the bolt holes. 4x2 Tacoma Bolt Circle: 5 lug on 4.5 PCD; 4x4/Prerunner Tacoma Bolt Circle: 6 lug on 5.5 PCD.​
    [​IMG]
    (Diagram: Alloy Wheel Cross-Section)

1 person likes this.
  2. johnsstart

johnsstart New Member

Well thats was def informative thanks learn something new every day :great:
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

great diagram this will help a lot of people. stickied :great::great:
  4. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Hey if I didn't find it I'm sure someone else would have.

Glad I could help anyone.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

WOW! That is an awesome write up, I printed this off and gave it to my boyfriend who thinks he knows it all when it comes to this kind of stuff. Thanks very much, this will have a special place on the garage wall right next to the picture of my truck. :lol:
  6. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

7. shurshot

shurshot New Member

Good information since I am currently looking at 20" wheels for my 2009 GMC!! Thanks!
  8. countryboy73703

countryboy73703 New Member

well that cleared up some muddy water...
  9. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The diagram is what really did it for me. Thanks.
  10. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN New Member

does any one know?

does anyone know the stock offsetting and back spacing of the stock 06 silverado rims? not the Z-71 rims the bullit hole style rims?