Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Great green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Dr_Zero, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Great green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts mutilated monkey meat dirty little birdie feet that is kinda what I found when I went to clean out from under the suburban :lol:

I happened to notice some mud build up so went through a car wash that is supposed to clean the undercarriage. Well when I looked up under there was mud and clay caked in places a good couple of inches thick :gasp:

So I got down there and used a brush to start but then finally had to just soak the stuff and eventually melt it off, man it was nasty!

Its a good idea to avoid rust and a clean drivetrain will run cooler and last longer.

So the question is how many people ever take the time to clean off the underside?

2. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I try to when I have the time but atthe same time I'm not around mud that much.

3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hmm, maybe I should take a peek. I haven't washed my truck once since I got it.

4. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just find the deepest puddle I can.:lol:

5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i usually take it to a self clean wash and use the power wash on the underbody

6. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

LOL you guys are a trip

I have tried all of the above but never noticed how the body panels cup under to trap so much stuff, mud sand and road grime had accumulated and was rock hard.

Even if one does mostly paved road driving there is a oils from leaking cars and gravel that gets slung up under there and it gets nasty some Simple Green or Purple Power or Greased Lightning will help to get rid of the greasy build up that attracts other gunk.

I'm working on the rear end next I have a stiff nylon toothbrush style brush to clean out the nooks and crannies.

After its all done I'm going to clean and touch up any spots that may have some surface rust.

So far its all good no body rust and some superficial near the rear bumper going to fix that and would like to do the frame rails with some POR but I'm not that adventurous yet LOL

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have a small Karcher pressure washer (2200 PSI) I use on the undercarriage everytime I wash my vehicles, it only takes an extra 10 minutes.
    Dont usually run my trucks through mud so it's mostly dust and road debris, the wifes HHR actually picks up more debris than my trucks.

8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'll second the car wash. The one I go to cleans better than anything I could do at home. We have salt here in Reno so I go to the car wash every time they salt the roads.

Jim