1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

great performance choices for a 96 1500 silverado

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by seaneyt, Jul 7, 2011.

1. seaneyt

seaneyt New Member

hey guys im looking into some great ways to modify my engine, my uncle over heated a couple years back so im going to pull the block and going to clean it and make sure everything is to proper measurements and then cleaning the engine and going to rebuild it. i need some suggestions on pistons, headers, heads, throttle body cams. everyting. it will be alot of help! thanks guys

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

forgot to mention its the 5.7 liter engine
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are you looking to build a good reliable performance daily driver or a high performance Saturday night driver?
  3. McMahan

McMahan New Member 100 Posts

great question STB. We need to know what your intentions are for the truck so we can give you suggestions. Me I would get a 408 long block and just add on to it
  4. silveradotrailblazer

If your looking for the daily driver, I would look at building a motor like or buying the GMPerformance HT383E, part # 17800393. Someone on this site just installed one in his 'Burb and is very happy with it. Its a direct bolt-in for '96 to '99 trucks and 'burbs.
  5. ezdaar

ezdaar New Member

Drop a 383 rotating assembly (go all forged internals, standard issue Eagle rods, Wisco pistons, or same some money with Keith blacks, get comp as close as you can to 10.1) in with a set of worked Vortec heads. Beshure to go with dbl roller timing chain and a set of full roller rockers, Crane gold race is best, summit brand will work and are cheapest.
    Get edelbrock (vortec) performer AIR gap CARB intake.
    Upgrade to holly 670 TBI and get a Phenolic Carb to TBI adapter. Forgot when the change over was from TBI to direct port.. so if your not TBI Disregaurd the above.
    Have cam custom ground, from someone like EPS or your choice of cam guy made specifically for your setup.
    Headers, any old pacesetters coated and wrapped.
    Beshure to look into a new TC for that cam... if your auto.
    Toss in a set of 3.73's

Finds a good tuner and have that baby tuned.
    Kick back and enjoy the raw power of a 383!
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  6. silveradotrailblazer

If you buy the GMP HT383E crate motor it comes with a 24-month/50,000 mile warranty.:great:
  7. seaneyt

seaneyt New Member

im looking for great performance on a daily driver that wont kill my gas to badly
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Depending on your Budget, I would look at doing the following,
    ....Cat Back Exhaust
    ....Tune Either Handheld or Custom
    ....Headers....LT's

These are the 3 mods will help with performance and will for the most part give you the Best Bang for your $$$......but also keep in mind, that your Right Foot will also play a part in getting Good and/or Bad Fuel Mileage.