Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Greetings from Georgia

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by ryguy, Nov 25, 2009.

1. ryguy

ryguy New Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a suburban for the growing family, and the budget is really tight, so we're looking at models 10 years or older.

Are there any years/options/trim levels I should avoid, or any I should look for?

What sort of problems plague all models? Is there a mileage threshold after which the truck will start needing lots of work, or at which point it can't be relied on to not strand me on an out of town trip?

Any and all information y'all can give would be great.

Thanks!

~Ryan

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Most every year and model Suburban is good.
    With a ten year old truck I would probably put aside a little money every month for a fund to replace the engine/trans in the next few years, that'll probably be around 175K or 200K. The small block GM engine is the most popular engine in the world so it tends to be a little chaeper to replace than other engines.
    Leather interior usually wears a little better than cloth so the high end models with leather would be better to look at.
    Around ten years old electronic items are usually the problem, I might pass up on trucks with DVD systems and stick with just pwr windows/lcks.
    Sunroofs can be problematic and might be something to avoid.
    GM small blocks in the 90's suffered from a few issues, worst was intake manifold leaks. Any documentation on engine or manifold gasket replacement would be good to have.
    Electric windows seem to start sticking about that age, sometimes the fix is as simple as cleaning the tracks, sometimes its new motors and or switches.

3. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!

4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses:

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! There seems to be a lot of pretty good buys on Sub's around, so I'd just look for the lowest mileage and newest one I could afford. Good luck!

6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!

7. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!