1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grill and Tailgate Bowties - Hydro Dipped

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sstoner911, May 8, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I hydro dipped some bowties for a forum members friend..... so I thought I would share the results. He gave me the color code for his truck which is the Stealth metallic Grey which I used for the basecoat. Then it was dipped in a skull pattern.

The front bowtie was all black - the rear was trimmed in chrome which we kept.

Attached Files:

2. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice! That pattern's not my style, but those look really good.
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like those, they are pretty cool looking. Im gonna do some hydrographics on some of my interior pieces but Im gonna do a little practicing first.
  4. sstoner911

I am all for DIY projects...but I will warn you if your buying a do-it-yourself - kit off EBAY or the web. You generally only get 1 meter of film which a little over 3 feet. Its plenty to do a small project if you get it all right the first time.

The problem is that Hydro Dipping is not as easy as the YouTube videos make it seem. Most guys who do this for a living will tell you that they spent lots of hours and hundreds if not thousands of dollars in materials perfecting the process.

I see guys all the time on the Hydro Dip forums that ask for advice after spending money on a couple of the Ebay do it yourself kits at $100.00 a pop. They generally could have spent half to send to someone to get it dipped.

If you need any help when you get ready feel free to shoot me a PM.
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Those are sweeeeeet! I was on your site the other day looking for something to put on the platic under hood pieces. I am still looking.
  6. sstoner911

Here they are after laying down the clear - it made the metallic in the paint pop.

Attached Files:

7. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks ss, Yeah my buddy does some awesome paint work and hes interested in checking some of this out. He was surprised at the process and doesnt quite understand it but willing to give it a try. As most projects like this the results are always in the preparation. Thanks again I may get a hold of you.
  8. sstoner911

Let me know aloxdaddy...I will hook you up!

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

He may get hooked..thats how it happened for me!
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like it.. This gives me some ideas.. Maybe my rear windows on my cap Hhmmm The front diff shield HHmm There is just so much that can be done to change the looks of your truck
  10. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That looks really nice SS. That might give me a solution to my question of whether to paint black or color match due to my plans of getting a black grille but wanting the back one to be black. I might do a combination of the two with a design through you.