1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Grill guard install

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 1993blackbeauty, Oct 7, 2012.

1. 1993blackbeauty

1993blackbeauty New Member

Ok so I have a 1993 silverado and I have a grill guard that I picked up from work that is off of a 02 Yukon xl I'm wondering if it would be smarter to make mounts for it or weld it straight to the bumper? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Mounts would be better. If you are handy you can make them yourself. I've made masonite patterns to get the right dimensions and then welded up a set from 1/4" steel. A machine shop could do it for you for less than $100. Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea make mounts, if you ever need to remove it to do repair work or fix damage it'll make the job a lot easier.

4. 1993blackbeauty

1993blackbeauty New Member

I'm defiantly gonna go with mounts but there gonna have to be pretty beefy cause I actually use my grill guard's as push bumpers alot. So now I'm makin templates of them, and to make sure my original bumper doesn't damaged I'm going to be putting rubber blocks between the metal edge and the bumper.