1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grill guards/ bull bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Hutch, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Hutch

Hutch New Member

I've been thinking about getting a grill guard or a bull bar for my 07 Silverado for a while now but I'm still having trouble deciding whether or not its worth the money. The main thing that I want to know is this: Does a grill guard or bull bar actually protect the front of the truck or is it really just for looks? I understand that a grill guard would help prevent scratches from brush and things like that, but would it do anything beyond that? I mean, if you rear-end another car or hit a deer would it lessen the blow at all? That is what is going to make the decision for me, if they are really just for looks then they aren't worth the money for me.

Thanks,
    Matt
  2. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts

I had a brush guard on my jimmy. I hit a few things (a mail box and a couple small trees) it didn't do much to protect the front end, for the price it costs to buy one you could just repair the damage unless you like the looks. If you like the look buy one but if you want it for protection I wouldn't get one. hope this helps.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Look at mine in my pics, Mine has FOR SURE saved me money in two accidents, one of them I demolished a jeep wrangler when it changed lanes in front of me without looking, all I got was a bit of paint transfer on the powder coating. the problem is mine is bolted to the bumper where as now they have to attach to the tow hooks so strength is lacking for new trucks that dont have a real bumper anymore
  4. coombia21

coombia21 New Member

we had one on a 1999 burb and we hit a deer doing 55 and one at 60 and no damage at all just a little blood and hair on the truck (it is great to piss off peta people)
  5. I have a grill guard on my 1990 Silverado 3500. Going 65 mph and hit my brakes about 35-40 feet before hitting a deer. Only damage was to my fog lights mounted to the grill guard. They are great for parking lots and especially when parallel parked. Usually do a quick walk around and more than once have noticed my upright rail marks on a vehicle that has backed into my truck (at most a little touch up black paint for me...can't say the same for the other vehicles).