1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Grill, parking and headlight removal - '99 Suburban..

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by Springthing, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Please tell me what other years and model trucks this would apply for so I can update the subject! Thanks!

How to remove the grill
    How to remove the parking lights
    How to remove the headlights

...or just change the bulbs.

Parking lights - removal and bulb change

Very easy to do. With a Phillips head screwdriver, take off the four screws on each of the four corners of the parking lights.
    [​IMG]

The assembly will come out easily and the two bulbs in the rear can then simply be twisted and pulled off to replace, or both taken off to remove the parking light assembly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. Springthing

Grill Removal:

Remove the screws along the top of the grill. There are four total, two on each side, and two along the rail front.

[​IMG]

Remove the screw through the front of the grill.

[​IMG]

3. Springthing

With the screws removed, CAREFULLY either reach down or, with the aid of some tools (hanger and metal rod?), work them down to where you can lift up on the tabs that hold the grill in place. Lifting the tab and pushing gently on the grill should be enough to pop it loose.

[​IMG]

Below shows the tongue on the grill that fits latches onto the tabs in the above picture.

[​IMG]

Once the grill has been freed, twist and pull to take the corner lights out of their housing, visible on the bottom right of the above picture. Replace bulbs that are burned out.

At this point your front end should look like:

[​IMG]
  4. Springthing

Removing headlights / Changing headlight bulbs

Removal of the headlight assembly, like everything else, is rather easy.

Four bolts hold the assembly in place. Remove the four bolts - support the assembly while removing the last of the four.

[​IMG]

As with all other lights, simply twist and pull out to remove the bulbs.

[​IMG]

With all these steps followed, you should now have this view... ready to reverse the steps for installation (or bolting on of a new grill!)

[​IMG]
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Awesome! You have no idea how long my uncle and I spent trying to get the front grill off his dually. If we'd had these directions, it may have taken 10 minutes. :great:
  6. Springthing

Well.... you should have just asked!! LOL
  7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Great post! This will help as I stripped out the screw pin that releases the headlight for quick bulb change and so I can paint my grill. My only question is do you think the grill can be removed with the brush guard still on or should that come off too?
  8. Springthing

You'll need about 3 or 4 inches or so to pull the grill forward to pop it off the bottom tabs. Might be lucky if you have that or a little less...