grille painting

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Hunter2926, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Hunter2926

Hunter2926 New Member

Im thinking about painting my grille black but was wondering if anyone could tell me if it was difficult to remove the grille?... and also the materials and process they used to do this.

2. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

what year is your truck?

3. Hunter2926

Hunter2926 New Member

2000 1500 z71

4. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

mines a 06 and it was cake you take off the shrowd thing and the grill assembly pops right off

5. 04blackz71

04blackz71 Rockstar 100 Posts

i have an 04 and there is only 6 clips that hold it in place 4 clips for the center of the grill and 2 clips at the ends of the grill post pics of it when done painting

6. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

lets put it this way, if you cant get your grille off in ten minutes, you should be slapped... i had never taken anything apart on my truck when i did my inserts, and it took me 3 hours to remove my grille, push guard, polish the guard, take out the factory inserts, install the new ones, and reassemble it all. maybe it was luck, but its soo easy

7. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 Rockstar 100 Posts

lol if u can't get it off in less than a minute u have problems lol. 1st undo the four retainers on the core support cover, unbolt the 10mm bolt in the center, then there are 4 "clips" on four corners of the grille which just need to turn half way with a phillips. finally the grille is held on by 2 snap in clamp thingys on the fender. really easy man

8. High Voltage

High Voltage New Member

Has anybody painted over the chrome on the grilles? I want to get rid of the chrome bar on my '05 but never had luck painted chrome grilles in the past.

9. jerrynino

jerrynino Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

ive done it on my 2008... you just need to sand the hell out of the chrome (i did it by hand) :gasp:
    and then prime, paint and clear coat...

10. High Voltage

High Voltage New Member

Great, I thought that might be the case. I bought a plain grille for a Dodge truck that I had and it was painted by a body shop. Turned out great.

But before that I tried to paint over the factory chrome grille and it was a disaster.

I'll sand and prep this one and shoot it dark blue like the truck.

Thanks,
    Jason